E-Rickshaw Drivers Hold Protest at Jantar Mantar
Scores of e-rickshaw drivers today held a demonstration at the Jantar Mantar here demanding the city government to allow plying of the battery-operated vehicles in the national capital.
The protesters gathered in the heart of the city and voiced their concern on the issue.
There are around 70,000 battery-operated rickshaws plying on roads in the national capital.
The Delhi High Court, on July 31 directed the Delhi government to stop e-rickshaws from plying on the roads of the national capital "as of now", observing that "unregulated plying of vehicles on Delhi roads is prima facie a hazard to other traffic on road as well as the citizens".
Delhi Police and Transport Department, the same day had said that they would launch a crackdown on the e-rickshaws plying on streets here following the court's order.
Special Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Muktesh Chander had then said that they will pass directions of impounding e-rickshaws to their officials through wireless message once they get a copy of the court's order.
On June 17, Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari while addressing a rally of e-rickshaw owners and drivers at Ramlila Maidan, had announced that e-rickshaws having motor till 650W would now be regarded as non-motorised vehicles and Transport Department and traffic police could not challan them.
After Gadkari's intervention, all three municipal corporations had started the process of regularising these vehicles.
However, following the court's order, the Transport Department officials also said that their enforcement wing would start seizing such vehicles.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- PM Modi Unveils 112 Feet Shiva Statue In Coimbatore
- Crime Branch Begins Probe On ABVP AISA Clash At Ramjas College
- 'Do We Belong Here?' Asks Wife Of Indian Techie Who Was Shot Dead In US
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman