Drunk Men Drive Over Pavement, Injure Five
In the third such incident within a fortnight, suspected drunk men ran over their car on five people sleeping on a pavement near Inderlok Metro Station in north Delhi in the wee hours today.
"The incident took place at around 1:15 A.M. When a car ran over some rickshaw-pullers and other homeless people who were sleeping on the pavement near Inderlok Metro station," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (North), Madhur Verma.
While four of the injured -- Tarun Sharma (25), Bashir Ahmed (62), Feroz (22) and Amirrullah Ansari (49) -- were taken to Bara Hindu Rao Hospital, the fifth person, Dilip Singh (35), was taken to Bhikshu hospital.
Of these, Sharma and Singh were discharged after first aid.
According to eyewitnesses, there were three people inside the car. The car jumped on to the pavement at a speed exceeding 100kmph, hit the cycle-rickshaws, and then turned turtle.
"There were three occupants in the car, who managed to flee soon after the incident. The car belongs to one Mohd Mohsin (23) and two of his friends were there along with him inside the vehicle. We will arrest them soon. A case under Section 279 and 308 has been registered at Sarai Rohilla police station," said Verma.
Police have recovered a crushed bottle of alcohol, salad and some packets of snacks from the car, which suggests that its occupants had been drinking.
On Wednesday, a 60-year-old rickshaw puller was killed and two others injured after being hit by a SUV near Shanti Van in central Delhi.
Before that, on the intervening night of August 17 and 18, another SUV ran over 13 people, killing one of them, in north Delhi's Kashmere Gate area.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10