Drunk Men Drive Over Pavement, Injure Five
In the third such incident within a fortnight, suspected drunk men ran over their car on five people sleeping on a pavement near Inderlok Metro Station in north Delhi in the wee hours today.
"The incident took place at around 1:15 A.M. When a car ran over some rickshaw-pullers and other homeless people who were sleeping on the pavement near Inderlok Metro station," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (North), Madhur Verma.
While four of the injured -- Tarun Sharma (25), Bashir Ahmed (62), Feroz (22) and Amirrullah Ansari (49) -- were taken to Bara Hindu Rao Hospital, the fifth person, Dilip Singh (35), was taken to Bhikshu hospital.
Of these, Sharma and Singh were discharged after first aid.
According to eyewitnesses, there were three people inside the car. The car jumped on to the pavement at a speed exceeding 100kmph, hit the cycle-rickshaws, and then turned turtle.
"There were three occupants in the car, who managed to flee soon after the incident. The car belongs to one Mohd Mohsin (23) and two of his friends were there along with him inside the vehicle. We will arrest them soon. A case under Section 279 and 308 has been registered at Sarai Rohilla police station," said Verma.
Police have recovered a crushed bottle of alcohol, salad and some packets of snacks from the car, which suggests that its occupants had been drinking.
On Wednesday, a 60-year-old rickshaw puller was killed and two others injured after being hit by a SUV near Shanti Van in central Delhi.
Before that, on the intervening night of August 17 and 18, another SUV ran over 13 people, killing one of them, in north Delhi's Kashmere Gate area.
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED