Drunk Men Drive Over Pavement, Injure Five
In the third such incident within a fortnight, suspected drunk men ran over their car on five people sleeping on a pavement near Inderlok Metro Station in north Delhi in the wee hours today.
"The incident took place at around 1:15 A.M. When a car ran over some rickshaw-pullers and other homeless people who were sleeping on the pavement near Inderlok Metro station," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (North), Madhur Verma.
While four of the injured -- Tarun Sharma (25), Bashir Ahmed (62), Feroz (22) and Amirrullah Ansari (49) -- were taken to Bara Hindu Rao Hospital, the fifth person, Dilip Singh (35), was taken to Bhikshu hospital.
Of these, Sharma and Singh were discharged after first aid.
According to eyewitnesses, there were three people inside the car. The car jumped on to the pavement at a speed exceeding 100kmph, hit the cycle-rickshaws, and then turned turtle.
"There were three occupants in the car, who managed to flee soon after the incident. The car belongs to one Mohd Mohsin (23) and two of his friends were there along with him inside the vehicle. We will arrest them soon. A case under Section 279 and 308 has been registered at Sarai Rohilla police station," said Verma.
Police have recovered a crushed bottle of alcohol, salad and some packets of snacks from the car, which suggests that its occupants had been drinking.
On Wednesday, a 60-year-old rickshaw puller was killed and two others injured after being hit by a SUV near Shanti Van in central Delhi.
Before that, on the intervening night of August 17 and 18, another SUV ran over 13 people, killing one of them, in north Delhi's Kashmere Gate area.
- Gurgaon Traffic Situation Eases, Prohibitory Orders Lifted
- Curfew Remains in Force in Some Parts of Kashmir Valley
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Save the Children-Supported Syria Maternity Hospital Bombed
- USA: 7.7-Magnitude Quake Off Northern Marianas, No Tsunami Alert
- Paris Attacks: French Authorities File Terror Charges Against Two
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Multi-Organ Failure in Belgium
- Three Dead, One Hurt in Shooting North of Seattle: City Officials
- Aadhar Not Required for Assam, Meghalaya for PMUY: Pradhan
- DCW Refers AAP MLA's Domestic Violence Case to Delhi Police
- 800 Jobless Indians Starving in Jeddah, Swaraj Steps in to Help
- Kolkata: Actor-Photographer Arrested for Alleged Rape, Blackmail
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED