Drone Strike Kills Three 'Qaeda' Militants in Yemen
A drone strike on a house killed three Al-Qaeda suspects in the restive Yemeni province of Marib today, a security official said.
The United States is the only country operating drones over Yemen, but US officials rarely acknowledge the covert programme.
The strike "targeted a house in Marib... Killing three Al-Qaeda militants and wounding two women," the official in the south-central province told AFP.
No details were immediately available on the identities of the suspects, targeted one day after Al-Qaeda militants abducted and executed 15 soldiers in the southeastern province of Hadramawt.
In April, a US and Yemeni aerial campaign in Yemen killed at least 68 Al-Qaeda militants, as part of efforts to head off attacks by the jihadist network's regional affiliate.
Later the same month, Yemeni troops launched a ground offensive against jihadists in the southern provinces of Shabwa and Abyan.
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has been linked to a number of failed terror plots against the United States.
Rights groups have criticised the drone programme in Yemen and other countries, and repeatedly urged the United States to investigate strikes in which civilians have been killed.
But President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi and the US government have defended the use of drones, saying they enable the targeting of jihadists without sending soldiers into lawless areas where the authorities have little or no control.
AQAP on Wednesday claimed responsibility for many attacks on the army in the south and southeast of Yemen that killed 20 soldiers.
The group, considered by Washington as Al-Qaeda's most dangerous affiliate, is active across several parts of Yemen, taking advantage of a collapse of central authority during a 2011 uprising that ousted veteran president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
FROM OUTLOOKPakistanThe madrassahs, flocked by students, are the training ground—for Islamic learning and militancy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDAll of us at Berkeley are devastated by the loss omore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESHTML clipboard With only "half-hearted" measuremore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Twice in Kathua, Rajouri, Jawan Injured
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- Don't Release Funds to State Till They Implement Lodha Panel Recommendations: SC Tells BCCI
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- Modi Govt Trying to Impose Uniform Civil Code: Imam
- Security Beefed Up Around Raisina Hill in Anticipation of JNU Students' Protest
- Head of Militant Group Behind Dhaka Cafe Attack Killed: Police
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'