Don't Touch My Feet, Just Be Good MPs: Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today issued a set of guidelines to the BJP MPs, asking them to do research on issues, have good conduct in Parliament, not to talk to media like "spokespersons" and avoid sychophancy like touching his feet.
Addressing a meeting of the BJP Parliamentary Party here, he made it clear to the MPs that they should not let complacency eclipse the party's performance which catapulted it to power.
He underscored the fact that BJP is no longer in the opposition and its MPs have a far bigger responsibility in taking the message of the government to the grassroots level and highlight its programmes.
"Achha adhyayan, acharan aur sahaj sampark" (good research, conduct and contact)" was Modi's message to his party colleagues in his 20-minute speech in the Central Hall of Parliament.
The Prime Minister asked them to attend the sessions of Parliament full-time and come prepared after thorough research on issues and maintain dignity in the "temple of democracy".
He also urged them to come armed with knowledge and do their homework properly before participating in Parliament debates. He said being present during debates will be a good learning ground for them on various issues.
Sources said the Prime Minister also asked the MPs not to talk to the media as spokespersons of the party but raise the issues of their own area and constituency with them instead.
He asked party MPs to do good work for the common people as they all have to be elected again in 2019. He said he himself, being a first-time MP, has to learn a lot from Parliament and so should the other new MPs do.
The Prime Minister asked them to be punctual in attending Parliament and help in the smooth running of the House.
Sounding a word of caution, Modi asked them to remain connected to the ground and not let any complacency eclipse the party's performance which catapulted it to power.
Modi said as BJP was no longer in the opposition, its MPs had a far bigger responsibility in taking the message of the government to the grassroots level and highlight its programmes.
In his speech, Modi exhorted the MPs to remain in touch with the people at the grassroots and not lower their guard.
Modi also lauded the elevation of Sumitra Mahajan as the Speaker of Lok Sabha, saying she is the first woman in the BJP to reach that level.
BJP patriarch L K Advani, in his address, also asked BJP MPs to continue to work for the welfare of the common people and consolidate on the gains as the party had come a long way from mere two MPs to the 282-member strong force with a majority of its own in the 2014 Lok Sabha election.
BJP President and Home Minister Rajnath Singh also welcomed the new party MPs and asked them to work hard for further success of the party and uplift of common people.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu later told reporters that the Prime Minister has "guided" the members of Parliament.
"He (Modi) advised them about the need for attendance and attention in the House. He also advised the members to make proper study, come prepared to the House and follow the guidelines given by the party whips from time to time," Naidu added.
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia