Don't Touch My Feet, Just Be Good MPs: Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today issued a set of guidelines to the BJP MPs, asking them to do research on issues, have good conduct in Parliament, not to talk to media like "spokespersons" and avoid sychophancy like touching his feet.
Addressing a meeting of the BJP Parliamentary Party here, he made it clear to the MPs that they should not let complacency eclipse the party's performance which catapulted it to power.
He underscored the fact that BJP is no longer in the opposition and its MPs have a far bigger responsibility in taking the message of the government to the grassroots level and highlight its programmes.
"Achha adhyayan, acharan aur sahaj sampark" (good research, conduct and contact)" was Modi's message to his party colleagues in his 20-minute speech in the Central Hall of Parliament.
The Prime Minister asked them to attend the sessions of Parliament full-time and come prepared after thorough research on issues and maintain dignity in the "temple of democracy".
He also urged them to come armed with knowledge and do their homework properly before participating in Parliament debates. He said being present during debates will be a good learning ground for them on various issues.
Sources said the Prime Minister also asked the MPs not to talk to the media as spokespersons of the party but raise the issues of their own area and constituency with them instead.
He asked party MPs to do good work for the common people as they all have to be elected again in 2019. He said he himself, being a first-time MP, has to learn a lot from Parliament and so should the other new MPs do.
The Prime Minister asked them to be punctual in attending Parliament and help in the smooth running of the House.
Sounding a word of caution, Modi asked them to remain connected to the ground and not let any complacency eclipse the party's performance which catapulted it to power.
Modi said as BJP was no longer in the opposition, its MPs had a far bigger responsibility in taking the message of the government to the grassroots level and highlight its programmes.
In his speech, Modi exhorted the MPs to remain in touch with the people at the grassroots and not lower their guard.
Modi also lauded the elevation of Sumitra Mahajan as the Speaker of Lok Sabha, saying she is the first woman in the BJP to reach that level.
BJP patriarch L K Advani, in his address, also asked BJP MPs to continue to work for the welfare of the common people and consolidate on the gains as the party had come a long way from mere two MPs to the 282-member strong force with a majority of its own in the 2014 Lok Sabha election.
BJP President and Home Minister Rajnath Singh also welcomed the new party MPs and asked them to work hard for further success of the party and uplift of common people.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu later told reporters that the Prime Minister has "guided" the members of Parliament.
"He (Modi) advised them about the need for attendance and attention in the House. He also advised the members to make proper study, come prepared to the House and follow the guidelines given by the party whips from time to time," Naidu added.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman