Don't Laugh Loudly: Turkish Dy PM Tells Women
One of the most senior members of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government sparked an outcry today after declaring that women should not laugh loudly in public.
Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc, one of the co-founders of the ruling Islamic-rooted Justice and Development Party (AKP), made the comment while lamenting the moral decline of modern society.
"A man should be moral but women should be moral as well, they should know what is decent and what is not decent," Arinc said in a speech Monday in the western Bursa region for the Bayram holiday that marks the end of Ramadan, the holy month of fasting for Muslims.
"She should not laugh loudly in front of all the world and should preserve her decency at all times," he added.
The ruling AKP is accused by critics of seeking to erode Turkey's strict separation of religion and state -- the basis of the secular republic founded by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.
Arinc went on to denounce a moral degradation that left society awash with drugs and prostitution, and lashed out at popular Turkish soap operas for encouraging lax lifestyles, in comments quoted throughout the Turkish media and online.
He denounced the excessive use of cars, saying that if even the "river Nile was filled with petrol", there wouldn't be enough to go around.
Arinc also slammed the excessive use of mobile phones in Turkish society, with women "spending hours on the phone to swap recipes".
Imitating a Turkish woman on her mobile, he said, "'Is there nothing else going on? What happened to Ayse's daughter? When's the wedding?'"
"People should say these things face to face," he added.
His comments provoked a storm on social media, with political tensions riding high as Erdogan prepares to stand in presidential elections on August 10.
Erdogan's main rival in the polls, the mild-mannered former head of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, himself took to Twitter to poke fun at Arinc.
"We need to hear the happy laughter of women," he wrote.
Anti-Erdogan bloggers responded with even greater anger.
"Stop giving us moral lessons and instead count all the money that you have stolen," wrote one Twitter user, bturkmen, referring to corruption allegations against Erdogan and his circle that surfaced last year.
A pious Muslim who does not drink and whose wife wears the Muslim headscarf, Erdogan has always denied seeking to erode Turkey's secular principles.
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'