'Disciplinary Action to Wait Till Writ Petition Disposed Off'
The Meghalaya High Court has asked North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) to keep in abeyance the disciplinary proceedings against professor A K Das, who was accused of sexually harassing a woman scholar, till a writ petition filed by him is disposed off.
The Acting Chief Justice of Meghalaya Uma Nath Singh in his order yesterday said disciplinary proceedings against Das would be subject to the outcome of the writ petition.
The University was also allowed to file its reply within two weeks and the case will come up for hearing on September 11 next.
"It is directed that the proceedings in question shall be subject to the outcome of this writ petition. Learned counsel for the respondent-University at this stage prays for and is granted two weeks’ time to file reply," the order said.
Das was suspended by the University in June this year after a woman research scholar from Assam lodged a formal complaint against his indecent behaviour towards her.
He awaits disciplinary proceedings as recommended by the Women Cell of the NEHU.
On Wednesday, normal functioning of the oldest Central University in the northeast region was hampered when several thousand students staged a protest march demanding sacking of the Mathematics department professor.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Kushner Proposed Secret Communication Channel With Russia: Diplomat
- K.P.S. Gill Ruled Indian Hockey With An Iron Fist
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10