'Disciplinary Action to Wait Till Writ Petition Disposed Off'
The Meghalaya High Court has asked North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) to keep in abeyance the disciplinary proceedings against professor A K Das, who was accused of sexually harassing a woman scholar, till a writ petition filed by him is disposed off.
The Acting Chief Justice of Meghalaya Uma Nath Singh in his order yesterday said disciplinary proceedings against Das would be subject to the outcome of the writ petition.
The University was also allowed to file its reply within two weeks and the case will come up for hearing on September 11 next.
"It is directed that the proceedings in question shall be subject to the outcome of this writ petition. Learned counsel for the respondent-University at this stage prays for and is granted two weeks’ time to file reply," the order said.
Das was suspended by the University in June this year after a woman research scholar from Assam lodged a formal complaint against his indecent behaviour towards her.
He awaits disciplinary proceedings as recommended by the Women Cell of the NEHU.
On Wednesday, normal functioning of the oldest Central University in the northeast region was hampered when several thousand students staged a protest march demanding sacking of the Mathematics department professor.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED