Didn't Want to Go to Mizoram, So Quit: Ex-Maharashtra Guv
A day after quitting as Maharashtra Governor, K Shankarnarayanan today suggested that the "taste" in which he was transfered was not good and that he had resigned as he did not want to go to Mizoram or any other state.
He underlined that the appointment of governors is a Constitutional decision and anything regarding that should be done "within the four walls of the Constitution".
Explaining his decision to quit, the 82-year-old former Congress leader said, "Of course Rashtrapati (the President) has all the powers to transfer a governor, but then I thought it is not convenient...I decided not to go to Mizoram or any other state. I have my right to resign. I was thinking to resign since last three months."
When asked whether he felt humiliated with the Centre's decision, he said, "There is no humiliation. I find it no wrong. The President of India appointed me. The order came from the President of India and he transferred me, but I decided not to go there."
He said he does not "think it is political vendetta".
At the same time, he added, "Whether the taste (in which he was transferred) is good or not, is a question. I don't find anything wrong but the approach should be constitutional."
After the BJP came to power, Shankarnarayanan and a number of other UPA appointed governors were allegedly nudged by the government to quit.
Shankarnarayanan said the Constitution should be honoured while appointing or transferring governors.
"Appointment of governors is a constitutional appointment. We have to honour the constitution. Individuals do not matter. The government has all rights to transfer a governor and they are correct," he said.
"Different political parties have their own approaches but that should be within four walls of the constitution. There is a strong Prime Minister with big majority, they will take decisions," he added.
The former governor said he also consulted the Congress high command and even they "agreed" to the decision taken by him.
- Lok Sabha Approves Amendment to Lokpal Act for Deferring Asset Filing
- Salman Acquittal: Key Witness in Poaching Case Says He Wasn't Summoned Deliberately
- IS Claims Attack That Killed 44 in Northern Syria
- Muslim Women Beaten Up by Gau Rakshaks in MP, Uproar in RS
- T. M. Krishna, Bezwada Wilson Win Magsaysay Award
- Narsingh Replaced by Rana, Scandal Reaches Police
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Some Objects Found, Need to Verify Whether From AN-32: Parrikar
- IT Raid on AAP MLA's Premises for Alleged Tax Evasion
- Using 'Crazies' Like Hafiz Saeed Will Harm Pakistan: Haqqani
- 3,550 Police, 2,309 Civilians Injured in Stone Pelting in J&K
- Amnesty International Demands Dropping of All Charges Against Irom Sharmila
- Baghdad Suicide Bomb Kills Six, Province Takes on Militants
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED