Didn't Want to Go to Mizoram, So Quit: Ex-Maharashtra Guv
A day after quitting as Maharashtra Governor, K Shankarnarayanan today suggested that the "taste" in which he was transfered was not good and that he had resigned as he did not want to go to Mizoram or any other state.
He underlined that the appointment of governors is a Constitutional decision and anything regarding that should be done "within the four walls of the Constitution".
Explaining his decision to quit, the 82-year-old former Congress leader said, "Of course Rashtrapati (the President) has all the powers to transfer a governor, but then I thought it is not convenient...I decided not to go to Mizoram or any other state. I have my right to resign. I was thinking to resign since last three months."
When asked whether he felt humiliated with the Centre's decision, he said, "There is no humiliation. I find it no wrong. The President of India appointed me. The order came from the President of India and he transferred me, but I decided not to go there."
He said he does not "think it is political vendetta".
At the same time, he added, "Whether the taste (in which he was transferred) is good or not, is a question. I don't find anything wrong but the approach should be constitutional."
After the BJP came to power, Shankarnarayanan and a number of other UPA appointed governors were allegedly nudged by the government to quit.
Shankarnarayanan said the Constitution should be honoured while appointing or transferring governors.
"Appointment of governors is a constitutional appointment. We have to honour the constitution. Individuals do not matter. The government has all rights to transfer a governor and they are correct," he said.
"Different political parties have their own approaches but that should be within four walls of the constitution. There is a strong Prime Minister with big majority, they will take decisions," he added.
The former governor said he also consulted the Congress high command and even they "agreed" to the decision taken by him.
- Nationalism is the Identity of BJP: Narendra Modi
- IITs to Admit Non-Resident Students
- Pakistan-Not-Hell Remark Lands Kannada Actor in Sedition Net?
- Gujarat: 50 Cong MLAs Suspended From Assembly, Ruckus Over Una Incident
- Toxic Gas Leak at B'desh Fertiliser Unit Sickens 250, Plugged
- Opposition MLAs Marshaled Out, Pandemonium in UP Assembly
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- Delhi: Fire Triggers Building Collapse, 250 Bikes Gutted
- Upset Over SC Curb on Dahi Handi, Record-Holding Mandal to Return Award
- Surat: Two Dead, One Suffers Partial Sight Loss After Consuming Hooch
- BJP Interfering in Federal Structure, TMC Complains to President
- Cow is Mother of Not Only Hindus But Also of Muslims: Swaroopanand
- South Africa, New Zealand Test Drawn After Match Abandoned
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED