Dhoni Beats Azharuddin's Record of ODI Wins as Captain
Mahendra Singh Dhoni today became the most successful Indian captain ever in the one-dayers after India's nine-wicket thrashing of England in the fourth ODI here.
Today's win at the Edgbaston was Dhoni's 91st ODI victory as skipper. He surpassed Mohammad Azharuddin's tally of 90 ODI victories as captain.
Azharuddin took nine years between 1990 and 1999 and 174 matches to get to his mark while Dhoni did it in only seven years and 162 matches.
33-year-old Dhoni now has a realistic chance of becoming the first Indian to lead the country in 100 ODI victories. He has scored 8098 runs from 246 ODIs so far, averaging 53.27 with a career strike rate of 89.31.
Dhoni's record as captain against England in ODIs is better than any of his predecessors, with 17 wins and five losses out of 25 matches (two tied and one no result).
The Edgbaston win today was also India's eight straight ODI win in England, a successful run that started in the Champions Trophy last year.
Dhoni's captaincy may have come under the scanner after the 1-3 Test debacle against the Alastair Cook-led side, but his batting form has been consistent.
The wicketkeeper-batsman slammed four half-centuries in the Test series and also struck a fine 52 at Cardiff in the second ODI.
A man not known to chase numbers, Dhoni also registered another record as wicketkeeper in the third ODI on August 30. He now has the most international stumpings (131) and is now ahead of Kumar Sangakkara of Sri Lanka, who has 129 stumpings to his name.
While Dhoni achieved his milestone in 381 matches, Sangakkara took 563 matches to get to his mark.
FROM OUTLOOKSportsNursing a badly bruised ego, a post-surgery Kiwiteam aim to rediscover the elusive art of flying...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBAppraisalHanif Mohammad, the original Little Master of cricmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESK J M Varma Islamabad, Feb 7 (PTI) Former skmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- PM's Fresh Bid on Kashmir: Talks of 'Ekta' And 'Mamata'
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Wet Outfield Denies India Chance to Level Series
- Delhi: 15-Year-Old Beaten to Death by Three Classmates, Says Police
- Scorpene Leak: DCNS Moves Aussie Court for Injunction Against The Australian
- Vadra, BJP MLA Engage in Verbal Spat Over Shaktiman
- Merkel Rejects Muslim Migrant Ban, Urges Fair Distribution
- Minor Raped by Juvenile Neighbour in Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED