DERC Should be Made Accountable to People: AAP
AAP today demanded that the central law governing the functioning of the DERC should be amended to make the regulator accountable to the people.
The party accused the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) of being "extremely reluctant" to fix the accountability for power cuts in Delhi and to check its arbitrariness in hiking electricity tariffs.
The party claimed that it has been more than two months since DERC had announced its decision to probe within a week the reasons for long power cuts in the national capital during the months of May and June, and alleged that the regulator has since then been silent over the issue.
"DERC's kid gloves approach in dealing with private power distribution companies (discoms), gives rise to reasonable apprehension that the regulator has failed to act impartially against them," the Aam Aadmi Party alleged in a statement.
Since there is "no transparency in the functioning of DERC", the law should be amended to make it accountable to elected representatives – the MPs and MLAs, the party said.
"Its decisions on dealing with discoms and fixing of electricity tariffs should include the views of elected representatives, and it should be made mandatory for the DERC to make public the reasons for accepting or rejecting these views," it said.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryIf things don't change, in another three years, the metros can expect 8 to 10 hours of power...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionHere’s the good news: wind power, solar powemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 24 (PTI) As many as 195 small hydrmore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED