Delhi Police to Get Rs 40 Crore Under Women Safety Programme
Delhi Police will get Rs 40 crore to implement the United Nations Women Safe City project to put in place enhanced security apparatus for women in the national capital.
The amount, approved by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology with the assistance of World Bank, will be spent mainly to procure electronic gadgets to prevent crime against women and detect those involved in such crime.
CCTV cameras, surveillance equipment, high-speed vehicles with emergency gadgets will be purchased with the sanctioned funds.
"An amount of Rs 14.745 crore has already been granted to the Delhi Police as part of the first phase of the project," a Home Ministry official said.
Interestingly, the fact-sheet on US-Japan Global and Regional Cooperation, released on April 25, 2014, makes a reference to the two countries' support to the UN Women Safe Cities Programme in Delhi, which is part of UN Women Safe City Free of Violence Against Women Global Programme.
The announcement was made during the last visit of US President Barack Obama to Tokyo.
The UN Entity for Gender Quality and Empowerment of Women has also approached the Delhi government for signing of an aspirational generalised Memorandum of Understanding for safe city programme for future collaboration.
"The overall objective of this programme is to strive to eliminate violence against women and girls," the Home Ministry official said.
Crime against women in Delhi got renewed global attention after the December 16, 2012 gang rape of a young women that evoked strong outrage across the world.
- PM Inaugurates India's Longest Bridge in Assam
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10