Delhi: Over 1,250 Inmates Granted Special Remission
Over 1,250 inmates lodged in Tihar and Rohini jails here were granted remission of sentence on the occasion of 68th Independence Day.
The convicts, whose sentences have been reduced, include those who have served less than a year to more than ten years.
Exercising his powers under Delhi jail manual, newly appointed Director General of Delhi Prisons Alok Verma granted special remissions ranging from 15 days to three months to prisoners as reward for their good behaviour.
"DG, Delhi Prisons had announced the remissions on August 15. Over 1,250 convicts have been awarded remittance this time, which ranges from a 15 day relief to a maximum of three months," sources in Tihar Jail told PTI.
"Various factors are kept in mind before granting convicts such remissions and the most important of them is that the conduct of the inmate is good," the sources said.
Inmates who have served less than a year and maintained good conduct have been granted a remittance of around 15 days, while those who have served a sentence for a period of between one year to three years have been awarded one month remittance, they added.
The longest remittance awarded is up to a period of three months to those who have served sentence of more than 10 years with a record of good conduct.
Although the remittances were announced on August 15, the implementation of the orders were made recently.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman