Delhi: Over 1,250 Inmates Granted Special Remission
Over 1,250 inmates lodged in Tihar and Rohini jails here were granted remission of sentence on the occasion of 68th Independence Day.
The convicts, whose sentences have been reduced, include those who have served less than a year to more than ten years.
Exercising his powers under Delhi jail manual, newly appointed Director General of Delhi Prisons Alok Verma granted special remissions ranging from 15 days to three months to prisoners as reward for their good behaviour.
"DG, Delhi Prisons had announced the remissions on August 15. Over 1,250 convicts have been awarded remittance this time, which ranges from a 15 day relief to a maximum of three months," sources in Tihar Jail told PTI.
"Various factors are kept in mind before granting convicts such remissions and the most important of them is that the conduct of the inmate is good," the sources said.
Inmates who have served less than a year and maintained good conduct have been granted a remittance of around 15 days, while those who have served a sentence for a period of between one year to three years have been awarded one month remittance, they added.
The longest remittance awarded is up to a period of three months to those who have served sentence of more than 10 years with a record of good conduct.
Although the remittances were announced on August 15, the implementation of the orders were made recently.
FROM OUTLOOKBiharA PIL in the Patna High Court highlights the pathetic condition of inmates languishing in the state's jails...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBView From BritainRoyal Boost for Indian Designers The glossies aremore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPakistan will release 17 Indian prisoners as a goomore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED