Delhi: Over 1,250 Inmates Granted Special Remission
Over 1,250 inmates lodged in Tihar and Rohini jails here were granted remission of sentence on the occasion of 68th Independence Day.
The convicts, whose sentences have been reduced, include those who have served less than a year to more than ten years.
Exercising his powers under Delhi jail manual, newly appointed Director General of Delhi Prisons Alok Verma granted special remissions ranging from 15 days to three months to prisoners as reward for their good behaviour.
"DG, Delhi Prisons had announced the remissions on August 15. Over 1,250 convicts have been awarded remittance this time, which ranges from a 15 day relief to a maximum of three months," sources in Tihar Jail told PTI.
"Various factors are kept in mind before granting convicts such remissions and the most important of them is that the conduct of the inmate is good," the sources said.
Inmates who have served less than a year and maintained good conduct have been granted a remittance of around 15 days, while those who have served a sentence for a period of between one year to three years have been awarded one month remittance, they added.
The longest remittance awarded is up to a period of three months to those who have served sentence of more than 10 years with a record of good conduct.
Although the remittances were announced on August 15, the implementation of the orders were made recently.
FROM OUTLOOKBiharA PIL in the Patna High Court highlights the pathetic condition of inmates languishing in the state's jails...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBView From BritainRoyal Boost for Indian Designers The glossies aremore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPakistan will release 17 Indian prisoners as a goomore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- Akhilesh Should Prove His Majority in Assembly or Resign: BJP
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'