Delhi: Over 1,250 Inmates Granted Special Remission
Over 1,250 inmates lodged in Tihar and Rohini jails here were granted remission of sentence on the occasion of 68th Independence Day.
The convicts, whose sentences have been reduced, include those who have served less than a year to more than ten years.
Exercising his powers under Delhi jail manual, newly appointed Director General of Delhi Prisons Alok Verma granted special remissions ranging from 15 days to three months to prisoners as reward for their good behaviour.
"DG, Delhi Prisons had announced the remissions on August 15. Over 1,250 convicts have been awarded remittance this time, which ranges from a 15 day relief to a maximum of three months," sources in Tihar Jail told PTI.
"Various factors are kept in mind before granting convicts such remissions and the most important of them is that the conduct of the inmate is good," the sources said.
Inmates who have served less than a year and maintained good conduct have been granted a remittance of around 15 days, while those who have served a sentence for a period of between one year to three years have been awarded one month remittance, they added.
The longest remittance awarded is up to a period of three months to those who have served sentence of more than 10 years with a record of good conduct.
Although the remittances were announced on August 15, the implementation of the orders were made recently.
FROM OUTLOOKBiharA PIL in the Patna High Court highlights the pathetic condition of inmates languishing in the state's jails...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBView From BritainRoyal Boost for Indian Designers The glossies aremore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPakistan will release 17 Indian prisoners as a goomore from WIRES>>>
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED