Death Toll in Hiroshima Landslides Rises to 50, 38 Missing: police
The death toll from devastating midweek landslides in Hiroshima rose to 50 with 38 others missing today as fresh rain stoked fears of more disasters and hampered the round-the-clock search for survivors.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called off a planned inspection tour of the western Japan city by helicopter on the day as his presence was feared to further complicate the search and rescue mission as rain intensified, media reports said.
Abe, 59, has been criticised by opposition parties and some media for continuing to play golf in a summer resort for about one hour after being informed of the disaster, which occurred early Wednesday.
Meanwhile, two women were killed today on the remote island of Rebun, some 1,350-kilometres northeast of Hiroshima, when a rain-triggered landslide crushed their home, local officials said.
The Hiroshima regional police headquarters updated the death and missing figures this morning after an 83-year-old man was confirmed dead four days after unusual downpours caused landslides that swallowed dozens of homes, many of them perched on hillside housing areas.
A total of about 3,000 rescuers including ground troops, fire fighters and police continued digging through mud and debris in Hiroshima but their operation was suspended for seven hours this morning as fresh rain raised concerns about more landslips, public broadcaster NHK reported.
About 1,700 people remained sheltered at 13 safe public facilities while the Hiroshima city government upheld evacuation orders and warnings for 164,000 residents in the disaster areas.
On Rebun, an isle lying west of the main northern island of Hokkaido, 18 centimetres of rain fell in 24 hours, according to the region's weather observatory.
The downpour was due to a low pressure in the area, separate from a rain front affecting western Japan.
- Government Says 'No' To India-Pakistan Cricket Series
- CISE Declares Class 12 Results, Topper Gets 99.5%
- Delhi Man Killed For Objecting To Public Urination
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10