Death Toll in China's Factory Blast Goes Up to 75
The death toll from a factory blast in China's eastern Jiangsu Province today rose to 75, as a top official said that the accident was caused by "very serious dereliction of duty".
About 185 people were injured in the blast, which gutted a wheel hub polishing workshop owned by Kunshan Zhongrong Metal Products Co., Ltd. In Kunshan City on Saturday.
Yang Dongliang, director of the State Administration of Work Safety and head of an investigation team for the accident, said questions arising from the accident and initial investigation suggested that the factory had long failed to address related risks and problems, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
There was "very serious dereliction of duty," given the excessive metal dust inside the workshop, which was ignited by flames and caused the blast, Yang told a meeting of the investigation team.
Yang said the main reasons behind the accident was that design and construction of the factory buildings had failed to conform to safety provisions.
He said the workshop was overcrowded with too many processing assembly lines. There was a shortage of dust removal equipment at the site. Also there was substandard electrical equipment at the factory site.
Work safety measures had not been strictly implemented. Accumulated dust and powdered metals had not been cleaned in a timely manner, which led to the combustion of particles, he said.
In factories and mines, the fast combustion of particles suspended in air in an enclosed space can result in a dust explosion.
Yang said Kunshan Zhongrong shoulders major responsibility for the accident and local government departments were also to blame for poor implementation of regulations.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman