Curfew Relaxed Temporarirly in Violence-Hit Golaghat
The indefinite curfew in Golaghat district was relaxed for 12 hours from today morning with the situation "under control and improving further", a senior district official said.
There was no report of untoward incident today from any part of the district, including Uriamghat along the Assam-Nagaland border, he said.
A strict vigil was, however, being maintained by the security forces to prevent any untoward incident with the army also being kept as a standby, he said.
The indefinite curfew was imposed in Golaghat district yesterday in the wake of Wednesday's border flare-up.
The district administration had agreed to relax the curfew for four hours yesterday and with the situation "under control and improving further" today, it was decided to relax it further for 12 hours, he said.
Protests and indefinite bandh by seven organisations, agitating against the killing of nine persons by miscreants from neighbouring Nagaland and subsequent police firing in which three person were killed, was called off yesterday following a meeting with the district administration.
Security has been further tightened at Golaghat town area, Rangajan and Numaligarh areas where the protests were concentrated.
The state police was also monitoring the situation along the border with Nagaland where the neutral force CRPF is responsible for maintaining law and order.
Meanwhile, protests and burning of effigies of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for his alleged failure to protect the lives and property of the people along the border were reported from different parts of the state, the official said.
- CBI Court to Frame Charges Against Advani, Others
- Cyclone Mora Hits B'desh, India On High Alert
- 'Had A Good Interaction,' Says PM Modi After Meeting German Chancellor Merkel
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10