Curfew Relaxed Temporarirly in Violence-Hit Golaghat
The indefinite curfew in Golaghat district was relaxed for 12 hours from today morning with the situation "under control and improving further", a senior district official said.
There was no report of untoward incident today from any part of the district, including Uriamghat along the Assam-Nagaland border, he said.
A strict vigil was, however, being maintained by the security forces to prevent any untoward incident with the army also being kept as a standby, he said.
The indefinite curfew was imposed in Golaghat district yesterday in the wake of Wednesday's border flare-up.
The district administration had agreed to relax the curfew for four hours yesterday and with the situation "under control and improving further" today, it was decided to relax it further for 12 hours, he said.
Protests and indefinite bandh by seven organisations, agitating against the killing of nine persons by miscreants from neighbouring Nagaland and subsequent police firing in which three person were killed, was called off yesterday following a meeting with the district administration.
Security has been further tightened at Golaghat town area, Rangajan and Numaligarh areas where the protests were concentrated.
The state police was also monitoring the situation along the border with Nagaland where the neutral force CRPF is responsible for maintaining law and order.
Meanwhile, protests and burning of effigies of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for his alleged failure to protect the lives and property of the people along the border were reported from different parts of the state, the official said.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileNarain Karthikeyan, gunning for the Formula 1, is the great Indian hope on the race track...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhanmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWashington, June 22, India today urged the Unitedmore from WIRES>>>
- One Dead, Two Injured in Germany Machete Attack: Police
- Nepal in Fresh Political Turmoil as PM Oli Resigns
- Want Emotional Relationship With People of Kashmir: Rajnath Singh
- Wrestler Narsingh Fails Dope Test, Rio Participation Doubtful
- Toll in Kashmir Unrest Climbs to 47, Curfew Continues in Five Districts
- AAP MLA Arrested for Trying to Murder Woman His House in Southeast Delhi
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Boris Johnson Claims India Owes UK Multi-Million Pounds
- India's First Green Rail Corridor Launched in TN
- Munich Gunman Planned Attack for a Year, Chose Victims Randomly
- Dancing, Drugs, Extremism: Multiple Lives of Nice Attacker
- Young Woman, Son Crushed to Death in WB, Mob Erupts in Violence
- IOC Decides Against Blanket Doping Ban for Russia
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED