Curfew Relaxed Temporarirly in Violence-Hit Golaghat
The indefinite curfew in Golaghat district was relaxed for 12 hours from today morning with the situation "under control and improving further", a senior district official said.
There was no report of untoward incident today from any part of the district, including Uriamghat along the Assam-Nagaland border, he said.
A strict vigil was, however, being maintained by the security forces to prevent any untoward incident with the army also being kept as a standby, he said.
The indefinite curfew was imposed in Golaghat district yesterday in the wake of Wednesday's border flare-up.
The district administration had agreed to relax the curfew for four hours yesterday and with the situation "under control and improving further" today, it was decided to relax it further for 12 hours, he said.
Protests and indefinite bandh by seven organisations, agitating against the killing of nine persons by miscreants from neighbouring Nagaland and subsequent police firing in which three person were killed, was called off yesterday following a meeting with the district administration.
Security has been further tightened at Golaghat town area, Rangajan and Numaligarh areas where the protests were concentrated.
The state police was also monitoring the situation along the border with Nagaland where the neutral force CRPF is responsible for maintaining law and order.
Meanwhile, protests and burning of effigies of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for his alleged failure to protect the lives and property of the people along the border were reported from different parts of the state, the official said.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileNarain Karthikeyan, gunning for the Formula 1, is the great Indian hope on the race track...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhanmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWashington, June 22, India today urged the Unitedmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Will Give Befitting Response to Any Misadventure: Raheel
- Shahabuddin Surrenders, Says CM Will be 'Taught a Lesson'
- Sri Lanka Becomes Fifth Nation to Pull Out of SAARC
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Will Tell India What Is Real Surgical Strike: Saeed
- Telcos Meet TRAI, Allege Tariff Order Violation by RJio
- Surgical Strike: South Korea Supports India's Stance
- Court Issues NBW Against Dawood Ibrahim, Chhota Shakeel
- 10 Killed, 29 Missing in Typhoon Megi in China
- Philippine Prez Duterte 'Happy to Slaughter' Drug Suspects, Mentions Hitler
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED