Curfew Relaxed in Saharanpur, Eid Prayers Offered
Eid prayers were offered peacefully in this violence-hit city where district authorities relaxed the curfew to allow the devout to congregate even as security forces kept a tight vigil on troublemakers.
Curfew was relaxed from 7 AM to 11 AM in the old town areas, Saharanpur District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari said, adding that this was being done for four hours from 3 PM in the new town.
No untoward incident was reported during the curfew relaxation period and all efforts were being made to restore normalcy, she said.
A large number of people gathered at the eidgah area and mosques in the city to offer prayers but many of them said they could not make preparations for Eid because of the law and order situation.
A total of 22 FIRs have been registered and 76 people have been arrested so far in connection with Saturday's violence, Tiwari said, adding minor incidents were reported yesterday. The situation was improving, he said. Curfew had been relaxed yesterday to allow people to get their daily needs from the markets.
The District Magistrate said security forces were maintaining a tight vigil on troublemakers to prevent any violence.
Curfew was clamped on Saturday in the wake of clashes between two communities over a land dispute in which three persons were killed and 34 injured. 165 shops and handcarts and 42 vehicles were set ablaze in the violence, Tiwari said.
In Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had yesterday said that those behind the violence would not be spared and stern action would be taken against them.
Asked about the plot of land over which clashes erupted, Yadav had said the matter was sub judice and action would be taken accordingly.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh had briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday about the situation in the Uttar Pradesh district.
The Home Ministry had sent 600 paramilitary personnel to assist the state administration in maintaining law and order there.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10