Curfew Relaxed in Saharanpur, Eid Prayers Offered
Eid prayers were offered peacefully in this violence-hit city where district authorities relaxed the curfew to allow the devout to congregate even as security forces kept a tight vigil on troublemakers.
Curfew was relaxed from 7 AM to 11 AM in the old town areas, Saharanpur District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari said, adding that this was being done for four hours from 3 PM in the new town.
No untoward incident was reported during the curfew relaxation period and all efforts were being made to restore normalcy, she said.
A large number of people gathered at the eidgah area and mosques in the city to offer prayers but many of them said they could not make preparations for Eid because of the law and order situation.
A total of 22 FIRs have been registered and 76 people have been arrested so far in connection with Saturday's violence, Tiwari said, adding minor incidents were reported yesterday. The situation was improving, he said. Curfew had been relaxed yesterday to allow people to get their daily needs from the markets.
The District Magistrate said security forces were maintaining a tight vigil on troublemakers to prevent any violence.
Curfew was clamped on Saturday in the wake of clashes between two communities over a land dispute in which three persons were killed and 34 injured. 165 shops and handcarts and 42 vehicles were set ablaze in the violence, Tiwari said.
In Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had yesterday said that those behind the violence would not be spared and stern action would be taken against them.
Asked about the plot of land over which clashes erupted, Yadav had said the matter was sub judice and action would be taken accordingly.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh had briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday about the situation in the Uttar Pradesh district.
The Home Ministry had sent 600 paramilitary personnel to assist the state administration in maintaining law and order there.
FROM OUTLOOKOpinionIf centuries of shared experiences couldn't create solidarities, how could a specific 'Muslim' self-consciousness emerge from their multiple...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBDr. Zakir Naik, an Indian Islamic fisher of soulsmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESSamajawadi Party today felt the jitters of drawingmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- Unity, Love Basic Mantras to Address Kashmir Problem: PM
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Study Constitution Well, President Urges Law Students
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa, Gopichand Get BMWs, Sachin Lauds Them
- India Test Fires Scramjet Engine, Joins Elite Club of Nations
- Indonesian Priest Injured in Church Attack
- Turkish Bombardment Kills 20 Civilians in Syria: Monitor
- Govt May Advance Parliament Session to Get GST Laws Approved
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED