Curfew Relaxed in Saharanpur, Eid Prayers Offered
Eid prayers were offered peacefully in this violence-hit city where district authorities relaxed the curfew to allow the devout to congregate even as security forces kept a tight vigil on troublemakers.
Curfew was relaxed from 7 AM to 11 AM in the old town areas, Saharanpur District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari said, adding that this was being done for four hours from 3 PM in the new town.
No untoward incident was reported during the curfew relaxation period and all efforts were being made to restore normalcy, she said.
A large number of people gathered at the eidgah area and mosques in the city to offer prayers but many of them said they could not make preparations for Eid because of the law and order situation.
A total of 22 FIRs have been registered and 76 people have been arrested so far in connection with Saturday's violence, Tiwari said, adding minor incidents were reported yesterday. The situation was improving, he said. Curfew had been relaxed yesterday to allow people to get their daily needs from the markets.
The District Magistrate said security forces were maintaining a tight vigil on troublemakers to prevent any violence.
Curfew was clamped on Saturday in the wake of clashes between two communities over a land dispute in which three persons were killed and 34 injured. 165 shops and handcarts and 42 vehicles were set ablaze in the violence, Tiwari said.
In Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had yesterday said that those behind the violence would not be spared and stern action would be taken against them.
Asked about the plot of land over which clashes erupted, Yadav had said the matter was sub judice and action would be taken accordingly.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh had briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday about the situation in the Uttar Pradesh district.
The Home Ministry had sent 600 paramilitary personnel to assist the state administration in maintaining law and order there.
FROM OUTLOOKOpinionIf centuries of shared experiences couldn't create solidarities, how could a specific 'Muslim' self-consciousness emerge from their multiple...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionIndia is today under a party with an ideology, whimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESSamajawadi Party today felt the jitters of drawingmore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia