Criminal sent by LeT, ISI to kill Gujarat leader shot dead
Sheikh, a sharpshooter with underworld connections, had come to the city at the behest of LeT and ISI to assassinate a top political figure, Deputy Inspector General of Anti-Terrorist Squad, D G Vanjhara told reporters.
He said police were not aware of the specific target of the slain criminal but they had operated on the basis of intelligence inputs from Rajasthan police, who were also part of the encounter team that gunned him down.
As per information, the criminal was sent to seek help from the members of the erstwhile Abdul Latif gang, that operated in the city while backup support would be provided by LeT and ISI, Vanjhara said.
He said Sheikh was in Narol area of the city for the past few days and was coordinating his operations from there.
The criminal was also wanted in an arms smuggling case in Madhya Pradesh and for a murder case in Rajasthan.
The official said Sohrabuddin was known to be a close aide of Pakistan-based Sharif Khan and Rasool Parti, who are themselves henchmen of Dawood Ibrahim and were instrumental in the assassination bid on a BJP leader in Gujarat in the recent past, including the murder of former Home Minister Haren Pandya.
- Burhan Wani's Successor Sabzar Bhat, Killed
- After Rahul, Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- WHO Confirms First Cases Of Zika Virus In India, From Ahmedabad
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10