Criminal sent by LeT, ISI to kill Gujarat leader shot dead
Sheikh, a sharpshooter with underworld connections, had come to the city at the behest of LeT and ISI to assassinate a top political figure, Deputy Inspector General of Anti-Terrorist Squad, D G Vanjhara told reporters.
He said police were not aware of the specific target of the slain criminal but they had operated on the basis of intelligence inputs from Rajasthan police, who were also part of the encounter team that gunned him down.
As per information, the criminal was sent to seek help from the members of the erstwhile Abdul Latif gang, that operated in the city while backup support would be provided by LeT and ISI, Vanjhara said.
He said Sheikh was in Narol area of the city for the past few days and was coordinating his operations from there.
The criminal was also wanted in an arms smuggling case in Madhya Pradesh and for a murder case in Rajasthan.
The official said Sohrabuddin was known to be a close aide of Pakistan-based Sharif Khan and Rasool Parti, who are themselves henchmen of Dawood Ibrahim and were instrumental in the assassination bid on a BJP leader in Gujarat in the recent past, including the murder of former Home Minister Haren Pandya.
FROM OUTLOOKOpinionSince Ambedkar’s revolutionary legislations, a series of laws has forced caste society to face up to its own...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionIn four years, India will have the world's largestmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESDana Majhi, who carried his wife's body on his shomore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED