Core Al-Qaeda Leadership in Pak, Afghanistan Decimated: US
The US has decimated the core leadership of al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the White House said today.
"What is beyond debate is that prior to 2001, core al-Qaeda was operating in a virtual vacuum in the area between Afghanistan and Pakistan, and used that area that was essentially lawless as a base of operations to launch a horrific attack against the United States of America," White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest told reporters at his daily news conference.
"Since that time, members of the military, members of the intelligence community and others have worked to mitigate that threat, and, in fact, decimated the core al-Qaeda leadership that previously was operating with impunity in that area," he said.
"However, what we continue to face are elements that are either sympathetic to al-Qaeda, or associate themselves with the ideology of al-Qaeda in other remote areas of the world that do pose a threat to the United States and our interests and our allies. And this administration has kept up a very aggressive pace of trying to counter that threat," he said.
"I think what we are is we are in a position where we have made significant gains over the last decade or so against al-Qaeda elements that previously operated with impunity in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and used that area to launch terrible attacks against the American people. There's no doubt that we've made tremendous progress along those lines," Earnest said.
"The threat from other affiliated organizations around the globe continues to exist. This administration is working literally around the clock to mitigate those threats, to counter those threats, in some cases to bring those terrorists to justice. And the President's record on that is incredibly strong," he asserted.
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia