Cops Burst Tear Gas As Army Stage Flag March in Golaghat
Police fired in the air and burst tear gas shells to disperse protestors trying to block NH 39 at Numalimargh in trouble-torn Golaghat district this morning in defiance of the indefinite curfew even as the army staged a flag march to maintain law and order.
A large group of people tried to block the road with branches of trees in defiance of the indefinite curfew clamped yesterday and threw stones at police vehicles damaging one of them and injuring a policeman, police said.
The protestors shouted slogans against an alleged firing by police late last night at Numaligarh and injury to an innocent person, an incident which had no official confirmation.
Police burst tear gas shells and fired in the air to disperse the protestors and none was injured, sources said.
Army staged flag marches from Golaghat town to Rangajan, Bokakhat and Numaligarh on trucks mounted with guns and red flags.
The district administration urged people over the public address system to remain indoors in the curfew-bound areas.
Curfew was clamped and Army called out yesterday after three persons were killed and six others injured in police firing in Golaghat town to quell a mob that tried to set ablaze the deputy commissioner's office and destroy other public properties in protest against Tuesday's police action at Rangajan where 22 people and seven police personnel were injured.
The unrest is a fallout of the killing of nine people on August 12 at Uriamghat in the district in firing by some persons allegedly from neighbouring Nagaland. Over 200 houses were set ablaze rendering 10,000 people homeless.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Swaraj Slams Those Who Made Altruistic Surrogacy 'A Fashion'
- World's Largest Aircraft, Airlander 10, Crashes During Second Test Flight in UK
- Powerful Earthquake Hits Myanmar, Bagan Temples Damaged
- Never Blamed RSS as an Institution for Mahatma Gandhi's Killing: Rahul to SC
- Scorpene Data Leak: Indian Navy Probes Matter
- More Than 70 Dead as Pre-Dawn Quake Hits Central Italy
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- Maharashtra Govt Sends Report on Zakir Naik to Centre
- Maruti Labour Unrest: SC Sets Aside HC Order to Recall Witnesses
- Panel on OROP Not Hearing Individuals: Ex-Serviceman Tells HC
- British-Indian Siblings Forced Off Plane Over 'ISIS Claims'
- Piers Morgan Hits A Soft Spot: Why Didn't India Win A Single Olympic Gold?
- Girl Dies Waiting in Queue at Gurgaon Hospital, Probe Ordered
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED