Cops Burst Tear Gas As Army Stage Flag March in Golaghat
Police fired in the air and burst tear gas shells to disperse protestors trying to block NH 39 at Numalimargh in trouble-torn Golaghat district this morning in defiance of the indefinite curfew even as the army staged a flag march to maintain law and order.
A large group of people tried to block the road with branches of trees in defiance of the indefinite curfew clamped yesterday and threw stones at police vehicles damaging one of them and injuring a policeman, police said.
The protestors shouted slogans against an alleged firing by police late last night at Numaligarh and injury to an innocent person, an incident which had no official confirmation.
Police burst tear gas shells and fired in the air to disperse the protestors and none was injured, sources said.
Army staged flag marches from Golaghat town to Rangajan, Bokakhat and Numaligarh on trucks mounted with guns and red flags.
The district administration urged people over the public address system to remain indoors in the curfew-bound areas.
Curfew was clamped and Army called out yesterday after three persons were killed and six others injured in police firing in Golaghat town to quell a mob that tried to set ablaze the deputy commissioner's office and destroy other public properties in protest against Tuesday's police action at Rangajan where 22 people and seven police personnel were injured.
The unrest is a fallout of the killing of nine people on August 12 at Uriamghat in the district in firing by some persons allegedly from neighbouring Nagaland. Over 200 houses were set ablaze rendering 10,000 people homeless.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Sidhu Likely to Join AAP in August
- NADA Concludes Hearing, Decision on Narsingh's Fate Deferred
- FM Hits Back at Rahul, Says NDA Has Brought Down Inflation
- Eminent Writer Mahasweta Devi Dies at 90
- Rajnath to Raise Pak-Sponsored Terror, No Bilateral With Pak Counterpart
- Obama Passes Baton to Clinton, Says No One More Qualified
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Modi Follows Person Who Hurled Abuses at Delhi CM, Claims AAP
- Bus Rams Into Tree in Solapur District, Four Dead
- Fed Up With Harassment, College Girl Ends Life in Malegaon
- Indian-American Girl Becomes Youngest Delegate at DNC
- 14-Year-Old Boy Wins International Maths Competition
- Autorickshaw, Taxi Unions Call Off Strike in Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED