Controlling Food Inflation Top Priority for the Govt: Jaitley
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today said controlling food inflation, which has been consistently hovering around the double-digit mark, is a "top priority" for the government.
"Food inflation will be a challenge and a top priority for the government," he said, speaking at an event organised by the Indian Express group here.
He said tackling food inflation, which came in at 9.56 per cent in July, will "always be a challenge."
The government has taken a slew of measures on the supply side to cool the price rise in food items like the decision on the APMCs.
Jaitley also explained the limitations of policy measures, saying there is a seasonal element as well.
Stating that the government's measures on curbing price rise of onions like action against hoarding worked, Jaitley acknowledged that the government had to quickly change tack and reduce tomato prices which started rising.
He, however, said when it comes to grains, the country has no reason to worry as it has sufficient food stocks.
"The real food grain will itself not be such a challenge because we have a surplus availability," he said.
The food inflation for July came in at 9.36 per cent, as against the 7.97 per cent in June, and was the main factor driving the acceleration in the headline CPI-based inflation to 7.96 per cent.
The RBI wants to contain the headline number under 8 per cent by January 2015 and reduce it further to 6 per cent by January 2016.
The RBI, which recently said that there are "upside risks" to its January 2016 target, has been asking the government to initiate supply side measures.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- Akhilesh Yadav Scared Of Donkeys Of Gujarat, Says PM Modi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman