Controlling Food Inflation Top Priority for the Govt: Jaitley
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today said controlling food inflation, which has been consistently hovering around the double-digit mark, is a "top priority" for the government.
"Food inflation will be a challenge and a top priority for the government," he said, speaking at an event organised by the Indian Express group here.
He said tackling food inflation, which came in at 9.56 per cent in July, will "always be a challenge."
The government has taken a slew of measures on the supply side to cool the price rise in food items like the decision on the APMCs.
Jaitley also explained the limitations of policy measures, saying there is a seasonal element as well.
Stating that the government's measures on curbing price rise of onions like action against hoarding worked, Jaitley acknowledged that the government had to quickly change tack and reduce tomato prices which started rising.
He, however, said when it comes to grains, the country has no reason to worry as it has sufficient food stocks.
"The real food grain will itself not be such a challenge because we have a surplus availability," he said.
The food inflation for July came in at 9.36 per cent, as against the 7.97 per cent in June, and was the main factor driving the acceleration in the headline CPI-based inflation to 7.96 per cent.
The RBI wants to contain the headline number under 8 per cent by January 2015 and reduce it further to 6 per cent by January 2016.
The RBI, which recently said that there are "upside risks" to its January 2016 target, has been asking the government to initiate supply side measures.
- Pak Will Give Befitting Response to Any Misadventure: Raheel
- Shahabuddin Surrenders, Says CM Will be 'Taught a Lesson'
- Sri Lanka Becomes Fifth Nation to Pull Out of SAARC
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Will Tell India What Is Real Surgical Strike: Saeed
- Telcos Meet TRAI, Allege Tariff Order Violation by RJio
- Surgical Strike: South Korea Supports India's Stance
- Court Issues NBW Against Dawood Ibrahim, Chhota Shakeel
- 10 Killed, 29 Missing in Typhoon Megi in China
- Philippine Prez Duterte 'Happy to Slaughter' Drug Suspects, Mentions Hitler
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED