Constable Killed in Face-Off With Fake Currency Gang
A constable was killed and a sub-inspector injured after members of a fake currency circulation gang allegedly attacked them with sharp weapons even as one of the gang members died after police fired in retaliation in Shameerpet mandal of neighbouring Ranga Reddy district.
The incident occurred last night when a eight-member police team of Balanagar police station comprising sub-inspector Venkat Reddy and others reached Majidpur crossroads area based on information that a gang indulged in circulation of fake currency notes, Telangana Home Minister Nayani Narasimha Reddy said today after visting the scene.
As the police team attempted to catch the gang members passing in a vehicle, they suddenly came under attack with swords and knives, and in the process one constable Eshwar Rao and SI Venkat Reddy sustained serious injuries, the Minister said.
The constable succumbed to his injuries on way to being shifted to hospital while the SI, who suffered stab injuries in the incident has been rushed to a private hospital in Secunderabad.
Following the attack, the police team fired in self-defense on the gang members in which one Mustafa died even as others managed to flee, Reddy said.
The Minister further said that the government will extend all financial assistance to the family members of the deceased constable and one of the family members will also be provided government employment.
"Stern action will be initiated against the accused involved in the attack on policemen," he said.
Eshwar Rao hails from Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh.
Cyberabad Police Commissioner C V Anand, who too visited the spot, told reporters "as per information available with us, one Yellam Goud of Siddipet town in Medak district, was heading the gang which indulged in fake currency circulation."
Goud, who was involved in robbery and dacoity offences had come out of jail around two months ago and formed this gang, the Cybderabad Police chief said.
Four special teams have been formed to nab the absconding gang members, police said.
Meanwhile, Cybderabad police commissioner C V Anand said the police team was `a decoy' party targeting the gang.
"The team was trying to catch them red-handed (while exchanging fake currency) when the gang members attacked them with swords and knives. Constable Eshwar Rao was attacked with a knife near the chest and died on the way to hospital. SI Venkat Reddy, despite suffering stab injuries, managed to retaliate," the CP said.
Two members of the gang, Raghu and Nandu, have been taken into custody and massive manhunt has been launched to nab others, Anand said. Police have also seized some fake currency from the spot.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- BMC: Congress’s Gurudas Kamat Opposes Tie Up With Shiv Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman