Constable Killed in Face-Off With Fake Currency Gang
A constable was killed and a sub-inspector injured after members of a fake currency circulation gang allegedly attacked them with sharp weapons even as one of the gang members died after police fired in retaliation in Shameerpet mandal of neighbouring Ranga Reddy district.
The incident occurred last night when a eight-member police team of Balanagar police station comprising sub-inspector Venkat Reddy and others reached Majidpur crossroads area based on information that a gang indulged in circulation of fake currency notes, Telangana Home Minister Nayani Narasimha Reddy said today after visting the scene.
As the police team attempted to catch the gang members passing in a vehicle, they suddenly came under attack with swords and knives, and in the process one constable Eshwar Rao and SI Venkat Reddy sustained serious injuries, the Minister said.
The constable succumbed to his injuries on way to being shifted to hospital while the SI, who suffered stab injuries in the incident has been rushed to a private hospital in Secunderabad.
Following the attack, the police team fired in self-defense on the gang members in which one Mustafa died even as others managed to flee, Reddy said.
The Minister further said that the government will extend all financial assistance to the family members of the deceased constable and one of the family members will also be provided government employment.
"Stern action will be initiated against the accused involved in the attack on policemen," he said.
Eshwar Rao hails from Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh.
Cyberabad Police Commissioner C V Anand, who too visited the spot, told reporters "as per information available with us, one Yellam Goud of Siddipet town in Medak district, was heading the gang which indulged in fake currency circulation."
Goud, who was involved in robbery and dacoity offences had come out of jail around two months ago and formed this gang, the Cybderabad Police chief said.
Four special teams have been formed to nab the absconding gang members, police said.
Meanwhile, Cybderabad police commissioner C V Anand said the police team was `a decoy' party targeting the gang.
"The team was trying to catch them red-handed (while exchanging fake currency) when the gang members attacked them with swords and knives. Constable Eshwar Rao was attacked with a knife near the chest and died on the way to hospital. SI Venkat Reddy, despite suffering stab injuries, managed to retaliate," the CP said.
Two members of the gang, Raghu and Nandu, have been taken into custody and massive manhunt has been launched to nab others, Anand said. Police have also seized some fake currency from the spot.
- Indian Origin Punjabi Bus Driver Burnt to Death in Australia
- SC Dismisses Petition, Says Armed Forces Answerable To Government
- Fifteen Pakistan Rangers Killed In BSF's Retaliatory Fire In The Past Week
- Judges Selection: SC Slams Centre for Bringing Courts to a Grinding Halt
- US Charges 61 People in Multi-Million Dollar Indian Call Center Scam
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Along LoC in Jammu, Rajouri, Kathua, Girl Injured
- Daily Curator: While India Plays Spy-Spy With Pakistan, China Issues Gentle Reminder
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- India Third in Terror Deaths After ISIS-Boko Haram Areas: SC Told
- War No Option, Pak Should Take Initiative for Peace: Mehbooba
- Pak Army Says No Soldiers Killed in Firing at Border
- DND Flyway onnecting Noida to Delhi to Remain Toll Free: SC
- Swamy Asks PM to Form Multi-Agency SIT to Probe Tatas
- Northern Ireland Rejects Brexit Court Challenge
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED