Congress Absolves Rahul, Blames Media for Lok Sabha Debacle
Media was "one of the contributory factors" for the Congress debacle in the Lok Sabha polls as its entire focus was one person, party leader Ghulam Nabi Azad today said.
His remarks came a day after the high-level panel headed by A K Antony that probed the reasons for Congress' poll debacle submitted its report to party chief Sonia Gandhi.
Sources indicate the report talks about the alleged "manipulation of media coverage by the BJP, the lacunae in Congress campaign vis-a-vis the blitzkrieg of Narendra Modi's election campaign and organisational weaknesses" of the party besides issues related to election funding of candidates and the need to tone up campaign plans.
Replying to a question as to how can the media be blamed for the defeat of Congress, Azad said, "That is one of the contributory factors. I must say in the past, so many times I was witness to that."
Noting that media is a very important component of democracy and assimilation and dissemination of information lie with it particularly the electronic media, the Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha said that whenever he used to have press conferences as a minister even for an hour, not a minute of it was telecast.
"This time, the focus of the media was on one person," he said, without naming anyone.
Antony, who headed the four-member committee, dismissed reports that there was a question mark on the leadership of Rahul Gandhi after the elections and that the committee has suggested something like that.
He said that the "reasons for the Congress defeat were something else." However, he did not elaborate as to what conclusions the panel has arrived at for the worst-ever defeat of Congress.
"I do not want to go into details. I will not reveal the details... I do not want to say anything about the content of the report," was his brief response to questions like whether his panel has faulted the communication strategy of the party or blamed the way media reported during Lok Sabha polls.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- PM Modi Unveils 112 Feet Shiva Statue In Coimbatore
- Crime Branch Begins Probe On ABVP AISA Clash At Ramjas College
- 'Do We Belong Here?' Asks Wife Of Indian Techie Who Was Shot Dead In US
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman