Cong Seeks Cancellation of Antagarh Bypoll in Chhattisgarh
Chhattisgarh unit of Congress today demanded that the bypoll for Antagarh assembly constituency be cancelled, following its candidate's withdrawal of nomination at the last moment.
A Congress delegation comprising state unit chief Bhupesh Baghel and the leader of opposition in Assembly T S Singhdeo today submitted a memorandum to the Election Commission of India in New Delhi, seeking cancellation of the bye-election, said state Congress spokesperson Shailesh Nitin Trivedi here.
The delegation also sought action against government officials for favouring BJP in the election process.
Antagarh, located in Maoist-affected Kanker district, around 250 km away from Raipur, is having a bye-election as Vikram Usendi, sitting BJP MLA, was elected to Lok Sabha from Kanker.
As many as 14 candidates including Congress's Manturam Pawar and its "dummy candidate" Savita Pawar had filed nomination papers, but now only two candidates remain in the fray for the poll scheduled for September 13, Trivedi said.
"The ruling BJP misused the government machinery including police to pressurise the candidates to withdraw, to ensure a walkover to its candidate, Bhojraj Nag," he alleged.
He contended that though Savita Pawar's nomination was rejected because she had not submitted the B form, as per the Election Symbols (Reservation and Allotment) Order 1968, the nomination of a dummy candidate can't be turned down on this basis.
Subsequently, Manturam Pawar and ten others also withdrew their nominations under pressure from the ruling party and local officials, he alleged.
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Khalsa College Postpones Drama Event Till ABVP Drama Pacifies
- India Likely to Be Less Affected by Global Economic Shocks: IMF
- Ticket Collector Bites Off Senior Officer's Nose In A Fit Of Rage
- 60-Year-Old Poet Thrashed For Stopping DTC Bus Conductor From Urinating On Road
- 130 Bodies Of Fighters Beheaded By Rival Jihadists Found in Syria Mass Graves
- BMC Mayor Will Be From Our Party, BJP Used Deceitful Means to Destabilise Our Rule: Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman