Cong Seeks Cancellation of Antagarh Bypoll in Chhattisgarh
Chhattisgarh unit of Congress today demanded that the bypoll for Antagarh assembly constituency be cancelled, following its candidate's withdrawal of nomination at the last moment.
A Congress delegation comprising state unit chief Bhupesh Baghel and the leader of opposition in Assembly T S Singhdeo today submitted a memorandum to the Election Commission of India in New Delhi, seeking cancellation of the bye-election, said state Congress spokesperson Shailesh Nitin Trivedi here.
The delegation also sought action against government officials for favouring BJP in the election process.
Antagarh, located in Maoist-affected Kanker district, around 250 km away from Raipur, is having a bye-election as Vikram Usendi, sitting BJP MLA, was elected to Lok Sabha from Kanker.
As many as 14 candidates including Congress's Manturam Pawar and its "dummy candidate" Savita Pawar had filed nomination papers, but now only two candidates remain in the fray for the poll scheduled for September 13, Trivedi said.
"The ruling BJP misused the government machinery including police to pressurise the candidates to withdraw, to ensure a walkover to its candidate, Bhojraj Nag," he alleged.
He contended that though Savita Pawar's nomination was rejected because she had not submitted the B form, as per the Election Symbols (Reservation and Allotment) Order 1968, the nomination of a dummy candidate can't be turned down on this basis.
Subsequently, Manturam Pawar and ten others also withdrew their nominations under pressure from the ruling party and local officials, he alleged.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBPoliticsFormer Uttar Pradesh Congress President Rita Bahugmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED