Cong Hits Out at BJP Over Adityanath's Appointment As Leader
Congress today criticised BJP for choosing controversial Hindutva face Yogi Adityanath to steer its campaign for the September 13 bypolls in Uttar Pradesh, saying the party wants to create an "atmosphere of communalism and tension".
"They (BJP) want the communities to fight with one another. They want to bring in the discussion of majority and minority," Congress leader Manish Tewari said.
Without taking Adityanath's name, he said the BJP has given the responsibility of elections to a person who has left "no stone unturned" to implement this "policy".
"It is BJP's ambition that an atmosphere of communalism and tension prevails in the country," he said.
The Congress leader was replying to question about Adityanath and two others being made in-charge of the party's campaign to 11 Assembly seats and one Lok Sabha seat in Uttar Pradesh.
Controversial BJP MLA Suresh Rana has also been given the responsibility to campaign in Bijnor constituency.
UP BJP chief Laxmikant Bajpai, Union minister Kalraj Mishra and Aditynath have been nominated to lead the campaign for the bypoll, party spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak had said in Lucknow yesterday.
Adityanath has sparked controversy due to his strong Hindutva remarks made during campaigning in the past.
The 11 vacancies in UP Assembly are the constituencies of Saharanpur Nagar, Bijnor, Thakurdwara, Noida, Nighasan, Lucknow East, Hamirpur, Charkhari, Sirathu, Balha and Rohaniya.
The stakes for BJP are high in UP as 10 of these 11 seats are being vacated by its leaders who have been elected MPs while Rohaniya seat is being vacated by ally Apna Dal as its leader Anupriya Patel was also elected to Lok Sabha.
BJP is putting all its might to win the seats vacated by its leaders even as it aims to form its own government in the state in the next Assembly polls slated in 2017.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10