Cong Hits Out at BJP Over Adityanath's Appointment As Leader
Congress today criticised BJP for choosing controversial Hindutva face Yogi Adityanath to steer its campaign for the September 13 bypolls in Uttar Pradesh, saying the party wants to create an "atmosphere of communalism and tension".
"They (BJP) want the communities to fight with one another. They want to bring in the discussion of majority and minority," Congress leader Manish Tewari said.
Without taking Adityanath's name, he said the BJP has given the responsibility of elections to a person who has left "no stone unturned" to implement this "policy".
"It is BJP's ambition that an atmosphere of communalism and tension prevails in the country," he said.
The Congress leader was replying to question about Adityanath and two others being made in-charge of the party's campaign to 11 Assembly seats and one Lok Sabha seat in Uttar Pradesh.
Controversial BJP MLA Suresh Rana has also been given the responsibility to campaign in Bijnor constituency.
UP BJP chief Laxmikant Bajpai, Union minister Kalraj Mishra and Aditynath have been nominated to lead the campaign for the bypoll, party spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak had said in Lucknow yesterday.
Adityanath has sparked controversy due to his strong Hindutva remarks made during campaigning in the past.
The 11 vacancies in UP Assembly are the constituencies of Saharanpur Nagar, Bijnor, Thakurdwara, Noida, Nighasan, Lucknow East, Hamirpur, Charkhari, Sirathu, Balha and Rohaniya.
The stakes for BJP are high in UP as 10 of these 11 seats are being vacated by its leaders who have been elected MPs while Rohaniya seat is being vacated by ally Apna Dal as its leader Anupriya Patel was also elected to Lok Sabha.
BJP is putting all its might to win the seats vacated by its leaders even as it aims to form its own government in the state in the next Assembly polls slated in 2017.
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events