Companies Have to Comply With CSR Norms: Govt
Government will keep close watch on social welfare spending by corporates to check whether they are complying with Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) norms under the new companies law.
Certain class of profitable companies are required to spend at least two per cent of their three-year average annual net profit towards CSR activities. The norms came into force from April 1.
Replying to questions in Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman said the Companies Act, 2013 came into operation this year only and the government was watching the spendings under CSR.
"We are keenly watching" the companies," she said, adding, in case a company does not meet the norms, government would certainly ask for reasons.
The Act does not mandate CSR for all companies. However, every company having net worth or net profit of Rs 500 crore or more or turnover of Rs 1,000 crore or more during any financial year has to constitute a CSR Committee of the Board and take up CSR activities.
Sitharaman said there are no tax exemptions for CSR activities, except for spending on 11 specific activities.
In her written reply, she said the issue of amending rules relating to CSR with a view to plugging any loophole can be examined only after some information about the actual implementation is available.
As relevant provisions of the law have come into force this year and CSR policies of companies are in the process of formulation, specific details would be available once Board reports are available after September, 2015, she said.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Kushner Proposed Secret Communication Channel With Russia: Diplomat
- K.P.S. Gill Ruled Indian Hockey With An Iron Fist
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10