CNN Broadcasts Alleged Sound Recording of US Teen's Shooting
A previously undisclosed sound recording captured the shooting of Michael Brown by a white police officer, CNN reported Tuesday, as it broadcast what it said appeared to be audio from the gunfire that killed the unarmed black teen.
The FBI, contacted today by AFP, refused to comment on the authenticity of the recording, reportedly made by a resident of Ferguson, the Missouri town where the fatal shooting took place.
The man was said to have been recording a Skype conversation at the same time as the deadly encounter nearby between Brown and the police officer, CNN said.
Six gunshots are heard on the brief recording broadcast by CNN, followed by a brief pause, then four more shots.
The man who made the recording wishes to remain anonymous, said his lawyer Lopa Blumenthal, who said it could have "huge relevance" in the case -- particularly the pause in the shooting.
"It's not just the number of gunshots, it's how they're fired," Blumenthal said.
"That has a huge relevance on how this case might finally end up."
A grand jury is hearing evidence to determine whether police officer Darren Wilson, 28, used excessive force in fatally shooing Brown, who autopsies found had been shot six times.
Accounts of the shooting differ greatly, with police alleging Brown was trying to grab Wilson's gun.
But witnesses, including a friend walking with Brown, said he was shot as he held his hands in the air in a clear sign of surrender.
The teen's August 9 shooting sparked days of protests and spasms of violence in Ferguson, a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri. It also triggered a national debate on race across the United States.
The teen was laid to rest yesterday at a funeral attended by thousands, including US civil rights leaders Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, as well as representatives dispatched to Ferguson by US President Barack Obama.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Gujarat ATS Arrests Two ISIS Suspects From Rajkot And Bhavnagar
- Army Examination Cancelled At 6 Centres After Question Papers Leak
- Tight Security In Haryana As Jats Observe 'Black Day'
- Some Students 'Fantasise' About Breaking India Under The Guise Of Freedom Of Speech, Says Kiren Rijiju
- Public Sector Banks May Go On A Strike On Feb 28
- Shiv Sena Our 'True Well Wisher', Say Winner Muslim Candidates
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan