CNN Broadcasts Alleged Sound Recording of US Teen's Shooting
A previously undisclosed sound recording captured the shooting of Michael Brown by a white police officer, CNN reported Tuesday, as it broadcast what it said appeared to be audio from the gunfire that killed the unarmed black teen.
The FBI, contacted today by AFP, refused to comment on the authenticity of the recording, reportedly made by a resident of Ferguson, the Missouri town where the fatal shooting took place.
The man was said to have been recording a Skype conversation at the same time as the deadly encounter nearby between Brown and the police officer, CNN said.
Six gunshots are heard on the brief recording broadcast by CNN, followed by a brief pause, then four more shots.
The man who made the recording wishes to remain anonymous, said his lawyer Lopa Blumenthal, who said it could have "huge relevance" in the case -- particularly the pause in the shooting.
"It's not just the number of gunshots, it's how they're fired," Blumenthal said.
"That has a huge relevance on how this case might finally end up."
A grand jury is hearing evidence to determine whether police officer Darren Wilson, 28, used excessive force in fatally shooing Brown, who autopsies found had been shot six times.
Accounts of the shooting differ greatly, with police alleging Brown was trying to grab Wilson's gun.
But witnesses, including a friend walking with Brown, said he was shot as he held his hands in the air in a clear sign of surrender.
The teen's August 9 shooting sparked days of protests and spasms of violence in Ferguson, a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri. It also triggered a national debate on race across the United States.
The teen was laid to rest yesterday at a funeral attended by thousands, including US civil rights leaders Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, as well as representatives dispatched to Ferguson by US President Barack Obama.
FROM OUTLOOKInterviewTo regulate or not to regulate—that’s the dilemma before union information & broadcasting minister...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinion????What media exists for those of us who want tomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESThe much-criticised media coverage of the Mumbai tmore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED