CM Directs Administration to Safeguard Lives of Flood Victims
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today directed the administration to take all necessary measures to safeguard lives of people in the flood-hit areas of the state.
"Omar directed for energetic, extensive and most effective rescue plan for saving the human lives," an official spokesman said after the Chief Minister reviewed the prevailing flood situation in the State at a high level meeting at Police Control Room here.
Minister for Flood Control Sham Lal Sharma, Minister of State Nazir Ahmad Gurezi and senior officials from civil administration and police department attended the meeting, the spokesman said.
Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Rohit Kansal and the Chief Engineer Irrigation and Flood Control Javaid Ahmad briefed the Chief Minister on the rescue and relief plan put in place to meet the exigencies arising due to flood threat and incessant rains.
The Chief Minister was given details of the arrangements made to ensure safety of people.
Deputy Commissioner Srinagar stated that about 50 boats have been dispatched to South Kashmir from Srinagar for evacuation of people in the flood submerged areas.
Another 100 boats are being procured for the purpose, the spokesman said.
The Deputy Commissioners of various districts have been asked to procure boats from their districts for keeping these available to the people in flood areas, the spokesman said.
He said Indian Air Force has also been asked to keep air rescue plan in place for utilisation.
After holding the meeting, the Chief Minister visited various flood submerged areas in Srinagar city.
He visited Bones and Joints Hospital at Barzulla which is submerged under the flood water.
The Chief Minister interacted with patients and doctors and asked the administration to take all steps for ensuring safety of the inmates besides helping de-watering of the hospital area.
He examined the Jhelum Bund and the flood discharge in river Jhelum at various places including Ram Munshi Bagh.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Terrorists Attack Near Pakistan Court, Casualties Feared
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- Sensex Climbs Up 65 Points in Early Trade
- Swear by 'Ganga Maiyya' on Power Supply Issue: Akhilesh to PM
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- Publisher Cancels Right-Wing Provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos' Book Dangerous
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village