Closely Monitoring Price Situation: Govt
Government today said it is "closely monitoring" the prevailing price situation in the country and taking steps to bring down inflation.
Food inflation, Minister of State for Finance Nirmala Sitharama said, has already shown signs of easing in response to the measures taken earlier.
As per the latest WPI data, inflation in 31 essential commodities has moderated to 6.05 per cent in June as against 9.27 per cent in the same month last year. The retail inflation data also revealed that food prices moderated to 28 months low of 7.9 per cent in June.
"Government is committed to ensuring price stability and is closely monitoring the situation and taking steps on an ongoing basis to bring down inflation," she said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
Among various steps to contain food inflation, the government has recommended delisting of fruits and vegetables from the purview of Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee Acts of the states and fixing a minimum export price on onion and potato to ensure domestic supplies.
The Reserve Bank is scheduled to come out with its bi- monthly monetary policy on August 5. The central bank has maintained a high interest rate regime in its bid to check inflation.
- Encounter In Assam Was Fake, Says Top CRPF Officer
- Nepal Prime Minister Prachanda Resigns
- 'Enemy' Will Remember Pakistan's Response
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10