Closely Monitoring Price Situation: Govt
Government today said it is "closely monitoring" the prevailing price situation in the country and taking steps to bring down inflation.
Food inflation, Minister of State for Finance Nirmala Sitharama said, has already shown signs of easing in response to the measures taken earlier.
As per the latest WPI data, inflation in 31 essential commodities has moderated to 6.05 per cent in June as against 9.27 per cent in the same month last year. The retail inflation data also revealed that food prices moderated to 28 months low of 7.9 per cent in June.
"Government is committed to ensuring price stability and is closely monitoring the situation and taking steps on an ongoing basis to bring down inflation," she said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
Among various steps to contain food inflation, the government has recommended delisting of fruits and vegetables from the purview of Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee Acts of the states and fixing a minimum export price on onion and potato to ensure domestic supplies.
The Reserve Bank is scheduled to come out with its bi- monthly monetary policy on August 5. The central bank has maintained a high interest rate regime in its bid to check inflation.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBBook ExtractIt was the last night of the twentieth century andmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- 'One Nation One Tax' to Eliminate Corruption: Jaitley on GST
- Bangladeshi-Canadian Named as Dhaka Cafe Attack Mastermind
- Assam Flood Situation 'Grave And Challenging': Rajnath
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Pancreatitis in Belgium
- Clashes in Kashmir, Curfew Lifted in Many Areas
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Army Takes Possession of Adarsh Building
- Angul SP Injured in Clash Between BJD, BJP in Odisha
- Terrorists Like Burhan Wani Don't Deserve Second Chance: Deputy CM
- West Indies Reach 88 for 4 at Lunch vs India on Day 1
- 16 Killed in Texas Hot Air Balloon Crash
- Court Convicts Film Director Farooqui of Raping US Researcher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED