CJI Should Be Appointed on Basis of Merit, Not Seniority: Katju
Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju has pitched for appointment of Chief Justice of India (CJI) on the basis of merit and not on the basis of seniority.
He said there is no constitutional provision or statutory rule of the senior-most judge of the Supreme Court being appointed as Chief Justice and therefore "outstanding" chief justice of a High Court can directly be appointed as chief justice of the Supreme Court.
Katju felt the convention of appointment of CJI at present is often leading to "undesirable results" causing great harm to the judiciary.
In this context, he questioned the integrity of some former CJI's and the issue of mediocrity.
"The Chief Justice of India is head of the judicial family, and an undeserving appointment can cause great harm which may last for several years," he said in his blog posting today.
His suggestion comes ahead of the retirement of CJI Justice R M Lodha on September 27.
"When the present Chief Justice of India, Justice Lodha retires, the Government of India should not go by seniority but choose the fittest person and appoint him as the Chief Justice of India," he said.
At present there are outstanding Chief Justices of High Courts who are deserving to be appointed directly as CJI, he said.
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'