Chit Fund Scam: CBI Arrests Director of Chit Fund Company
CBI today arrested a senior functionary of an Odisha-based chit fund company in connection with a multi-crore ponzi scam after finding him holed up inside a well at the back of his residence in Bhubaneswar.
After carrying out searches at 60 locations in Mumbai and Odisha, the agency zeroed in on Sambit Khuntia, director of Artha Tatwa group and a local level Congress leader, who has been evading arrest for nearly a month.
When the CBI team reached his Bhubaneswar residence this morning, his wife and mother claimed that Khuntia was not at home, agency sources here said.
However, Khuntia's luck ran out as the sleuths found him hiding in the well in the backyard of his house.
The searches were carried out also at the residence of TV serial producer Priti Bhatia and stock broker Deepak Parekh in Mumbai besides Behrampur, Balasor, and 54 places around Bhubaneshwar.
Parekh has allegedly obtained license from SEBI and MCX for Artha Tatwa group while Bhatia had started a media company along with Pradeep Sethi, Chairman cum Managing Director of the group, who has been arrested by CBI.
CBI sources said premises of Pravata Tripathy, BJD MLA, Ashirbad Behera, Orissa Cricket Association Secretary, Bikash Swain, owner of Surya Prabha newspaper, Manoj Dash, owner of Kamyab TV, Satyabrata Lenka and Sethi were searched.
The premises of Chandrika Patnaik, Radhakrishna Padhi, Jhuma Chakravorty, all directors of the chit-fund company, were also searched during the massive operations in which the agency claimed to have seized incriminating documents.
When contacted, Tripathy confirmed that CBI searches were being conducted at his premises but denied any involvement in the scam. "I don't have any connection with the chit fund scam," he said.
CBI officials said that his ancestral house in Khurda and two other places including his official residences at Cuttack and Bhubaneswar were being searched by the sleuths in connection with the chit fund scam.
CBI has alleged that the MLA "was taking protection money from some of the accused", a charge denied by Tripathy.
Tripathy claimed he was being targeted as he had attended some of the meetings of chit fund companies when they were operating as cooperative societies.
Behera, on being contacted, refused to comment on the searches being carried out by CBI.
At least 44 chit fund companies in Odisha have been named in as many FIRs which were mentioned in the May 9 Supreme court order on a civil writ petition filed in 2013.
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia