China Ticks off Kerry for Being Late
US Secretary of State John Kerry was ticked off by his Chinese counterpart today after he arrived late for talks between the superpowers as Washington attempts to cool regional maritime tensions.
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi pointedly remarked that he had been waiting "for more than half an hour" in comments through an interpreter after Kerry arrived late for a meeting between the two countries.
Kerry, chuckling sheepishly, apologised for keeping Beijing's top diplomat waiting.
"I am very, very sorry," he said ahead of the meeting on the sidelines of talks between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and regional and global powers.
The US has urged an end to all acts that may worsen already strained relations between China and regional rival claimants over parts of the South China Sea.
Wang today said China was not the aggressor in the disputed waters, but vowed Beijing would have "clear and firm reactions" to defend its interests in the sea.
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia