China Slams India For Inviting Dalai Lama To An International Buddhist Seminar
China today warned India not to go against its "core concerns" to avoid disruption in bilateral ties after New Delhi invited the Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama to an international Buddhist seminar in Bihar.
"In recent days the Indian side, in total disregard of China's stern representation and strong opposition, insisted on inviting the 14th Dalai Lama to attend the international conference on Buddhism held by the Indian government," Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told reporters here.
"China is strongly dissatisfied and firmly opposed to it," she said.
"We urge the Indian side to clearly see the anti-China splittist nature of the Dalai group and honour its commitment on Tibet and related questions, respect China's core concerns and avoid China-India relations from being further disrupted and undermined," she said.
The 81-year-old Dalai Lama inaugurated an international seminar on Buddhism on March 17 in Rajgir in Bihar's Nalanda district, about 100 km from the capital Patna.
Buddhist monks and scholars from various countries participated in the seminar 'Buddhism in 21st Century'.
Earlier this month, China had objected to India permitting the Dalai Lama to visit Arunachal Pradesh which it regards as Southern Tibet.
China is strongly opposed to the Dalai Lama visiting disputed areas, Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang had said.
"China's position on eastern section of China-India border dispute is consistent and clear. The Dalai clique has long been engaging in anti-China separatist activities and its record on the border question is not that good," he had said.
China views the Nobel Peace laureate, who fled into exile in India after a failed uprising against Chinese rule in 1959, as a dangerous separatist.
China in the past held talks with him for reconciliation after he fled from Tibet. But no such talks were held after President Xi Jinping took over as the new leader in 2012 and Beijing kept pressure on various countries not to host him.
- Dhinakaran Brought To Chennai
- Shrikant Purohit Moves SC Against Order Rejecting Bail
- I'm Innocent : Sadhvi Pragya
- I Accept The Challenge Of Those Who Challenge Me. We'll Capture Delhi, Says Mamata Banerjee
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- R R Bhatnagar Takes Charge As New CRPF DG
- Trump Fares Poorly Among Young Americans, Scores 27 Per Cent in Race Relations
- Enforcement Directorate Registers Case Under Money Laundering Act In Narada Sting Involving TMC Leaders
- Bangladesh Girl Born With 3 Legs Can Walk, Run After Surgery In Australia
- Alleged Hawala Operator Arrested In EC Bribery Case
- Army Camp Attack: Restrictions Imposed in Parts of Kashmir
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Groom Refuses To Marry After Seeing Only Vegetarian Dishes Being Served At Wedding
- UP Govt Cancels 15 Public Holidays Marking Birth/ Death Anniversaries in One Stroke
- NDS and RAW Provided Funds to Taliban, Claims Former Spokesman
- AAP MLA Summoned by Court For Giving False Information to EC During 2015 Delhi Assembly Polls
- Prepare for 'Movement' If Exit Poll Results Come True, Says Kejriwal
- Sukhma Naxal Ambush Is An Act Of Cowardice, Says HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar
- Naxals Using Tribals As Human Shield, Govt to Review Anti-Naxal Strategy: Rajnath Singh
- 'Hafiz Saeed Not A Terrorist,' Pervez Musharraf Denies His Involvement in Mumbai Attacks