Chetan Bhagat's 'Half Girlfriend' Due for Release in October
Author Chetan Bhagat has announced his new novel, a love story, due for release this October with the book being available for pre-orders on the e-commerce website Flipkart.
Bhagat, who is considered a bestseller, today took to twitter and Facebook to announce his upcoming book along with a short video teaser. "Hi all! Happy to announce my next book titled Half Girlfriend," he wrote. A major newspaper here also carried the announcement as a front page advertisement.
"Half Girlfriend is a simple love story. It is about a boy who doesn't speak English well and brings out the issues related to English in the country today. It is a rural-urban love story that not only touches the heart, but also inspires the reader," Bhagat said in a statement.
Previous books by the author include Five Point Someone, One Night @ the Call Center, The 3 Mistakes of My Life and 2 States. The author took three years to come out with his new book after his last one Revolution 2020.
The author wrote, "English is the new caste system. Half Girlfriend explores this aspect of our society today."
Bhagat said, "One of my goals is to make India read. For this, I wanted a partner that could make my story reach pan-India, right from the big metros to the interiors. Who better than Flipkart to do the same?"
The homegrown e-commerce site, which recently raised USD 1 billion in funding said it is delighted to associate with the author.
"We are delighted to associate with Chetan Bhagat for online exclusivity, and are looking forward to make this book available to millions of our customers. This is yet another endeavour at our end to expand our selection and offer widest and most loved range of titles and authors to Indian readers," Kalyan Krishnamurthy, Senior VP-Retail, Flipkart said.
An investment banker-turned-novelist, the 40-year-old's books have been adapted for the big screen.
Bhagat's Five Point Someone was adapted into blockbuster 3 Idiots starring Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor in the lead. He also scripted the screenplay for the recent Salman Khan starrer film Kick.
Soon after announcing the release of Half Girlfriend Bhagat also tweeted that his website, where he had posted the first chapter had crashed due to traffic.
"My site has crashed. Will be up soon. Meanwhile you can watch the Half Girlfriend teaser directly on youtube," wrote the author.
Published by Rupa, the paperback Half Girlfriend is priced at Rs 149 and revolves around a love story between Madhav, "a boy from Bihar with big dreams who falls in love with the beautiful Riya, rich lass from Delhi."
Meanwhile the twitter sphere was filled with comments from fans and other readers commenting on Bhagat's new book.
"Was 1 of the test readers for Half Girlfriend terrific book...Gave rise to emotions I didn't know I had. So wait for October," said Masaba Gupta, fashion designer.
Another tweeted, "Chetan Bhagat - 1st book: Five Point Someone. Last book: Point Five Someone."
"So, Chetan Bhagat is releasing Half Girlfriend in few days. I hope he releases the other half soon."
- One Killed In Clashes At Saharanpur, Mayawati Slams Yogi Government
- Twitter Forces Rawal To Delete Tweet On Roy
- Melania Trump Evades Donald Trump’s Hand Again, For The Second Time
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10