Chetan Bhagat's 'Half Girlfriend' Due for Release in October
Author Chetan Bhagat has announced his new novel, a love story, due for release this October with the book being available for pre-orders on the e-commerce website Flipkart.
Bhagat, who is considered a bestseller, today took to twitter and Facebook to announce his upcoming book along with a short video teaser. "Hi all! Happy to announce my next book titled Half Girlfriend," he wrote. A major newspaper here also carried the announcement as a front page advertisement.
"Half Girlfriend is a simple love story. It is about a boy who doesn't speak English well and brings out the issues related to English in the country today. It is a rural-urban love story that not only touches the heart, but also inspires the reader," Bhagat said in a statement.
Previous books by the author include Five Point Someone, One Night @ the Call Center, The 3 Mistakes of My Life and 2 States. The author took three years to come out with his new book after his last one Revolution 2020.
The author wrote, "English is the new caste system. Half Girlfriend explores this aspect of our society today."
Bhagat said, "One of my goals is to make India read. For this, I wanted a partner that could make my story reach pan-India, right from the big metros to the interiors. Who better than Flipkart to do the same?"
The homegrown e-commerce site, which recently raised USD 1 billion in funding said it is delighted to associate with the author.
"We are delighted to associate with Chetan Bhagat for online exclusivity, and are looking forward to make this book available to millions of our customers. This is yet another endeavour at our end to expand our selection and offer widest and most loved range of titles and authors to Indian readers," Kalyan Krishnamurthy, Senior VP-Retail, Flipkart said.
An investment banker-turned-novelist, the 40-year-old's books have been adapted for the big screen.
Bhagat's Five Point Someone was adapted into blockbuster 3 Idiots starring Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor in the lead. He also scripted the screenplay for the recent Salman Khan starrer film Kick.
Soon after announcing the release of Half Girlfriend Bhagat also tweeted that his website, where he had posted the first chapter had crashed due to traffic.
"My site has crashed. Will be up soon. Meanwhile you can watch the Half Girlfriend teaser directly on youtube," wrote the author.
Published by Rupa, the paperback Half Girlfriend is priced at Rs 149 and revolves around a love story between Madhav, "a boy from Bihar with big dreams who falls in love with the beautiful Riya, rich lass from Delhi."
Meanwhile the twitter sphere was filled with comments from fans and other readers commenting on Bhagat's new book.
"Was 1 of the test readers for Half Girlfriend terrific book...Gave rise to emotions I didn't know I had. So wait for October," said Masaba Gupta, fashion designer.
Another tweeted, "Chetan Bhagat - 1st book: Five Point Someone. Last book: Point Five Someone."
"So, Chetan Bhagat is releasing Half Girlfriend in few days. I hope he releases the other half soon."
FROM OUTLOOKchildren: mythologyMythology meets cartoons in an explosion that’s entertaining, edifying, commercial...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBInterviewMargaret Alva is a former parliamentarian who hasmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPatna, Nov 8 (PTI) The Bihar government would provmore from WIRES>>>
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Killed, 17 Injured in Florida Nightclub Shooting Rampage
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Kejriwal Assails BJP Over Sidhu's Remark
- Parsi Population Dips by 22% Between 2001-2011
- AAP Failed on Women Security Front, Kejriwal Should Resign: BJP
- Wrestler Narsingh Yadav 'Framed', Says Congress Leader
- NIA Files Chargesheet Against Three Men With Alleged ISIS Links
- Not Liable to Repay Rs 6000 Cr Debt Due to Breach of Terms: KFA
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED