Chavan's Absence at PM Function Unfortunate: Maharashtra LoP
The BJP in Maharashtra today termed as "unfortunate" Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan's decision to boycott Prime Minister Narendra Modi's programme in Nagpur and said Congress should introspect why people are "unhappy" with the state leadership.
Modi is scheduled to perform 'bhumi-pujan' of a Metro project in Nagpur today.
"When the Chief Minister (Chavan) went to Vidarbha, he was booed by farmers. They were not BJP workers. The Congress needs to introspect why is the common man unhappy with the state leadership," BJP leader Vinod Tawde said.
"It is surprising and unfortunate that the CM is boycotting the PM's programme. I had even called him yesterday and asked him to attend the programme," said the Leader of Opposition in Maharashtra Legislative Council.
Taking an aggressive stand on the incidents of heckling at functions attended by Modi in Congress-ruled states, Chavan had yesterday said he would not attend today's function in Nagpur.
At a function in Solapur on Saturday, where the Prime Minister inaugurated four-lane National Highway Number 9, Chavan had to stop speaking midway as alleged BJP supporters started chanting Modi's name.
"The federal structure of the country has been undermined at the programmes in Congress-ruled states where the PM was present recently," Chavan had said.
BJP state spokesperson Madhav Bhandari also slammed the CM's decision, saying it was an "insult" to the people of Vidarbha region.
"It is inappropriate for him (Chavan) to boycott today's event. The Congress has always done injustice to the people of Vidarbha. Today, by boycotting the development work undertaken for the people of the region, they have once again insulted the people," he said.
During a previous event, Chavan, while speaking in front of the PM, tried to give a political speech which was not liked by the people and hence they reacted to it. But, the Congress has failed to understand the feelings of the common man, he charged.
"They are boycotting the event in Nagpur only because they are miffed with the people for giving all 10 Lok Sabha seats (in Vidarbha region) to the BJP-Shiv Sena alliance during the recently held (general) elections," Bhandari said.
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- PM's Fresh Bid on Kashmir: Talks of 'Ekta' And 'Mamata'
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Hinduism All About Love, Faith And Intimacy With All: Bhagwat
- PAAS Suspends Hardik's Ex-Aides for Smear Campaign Against Him
- India Can End Terrorism If It Treats Militants Sternly: Vanzara
- Discussed Kashmir Situation With Sri Sri: Burhan Wani's Father
- I Am Not Afraid of Anyone: Chandrababu Naidu
- Singapore Reports 41 Locally Transmitted Zika Cases
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED