Changing Faces of English: It's Awesome, Really!
'Marvellous', 'cheerio' and 'pussy cat' are among words fast disappearing from spoken English in Britain, according to a new study which attributed the change to a growing influence of American English on British speakers.
Britons are using more American words because of the digital revolution and a growing influence of the US, said researchers who found that the word 'marvellous' owes its declining popularity to the American cliche 'awesome'.
'Awesome' now appears 72 times per million words, according to the study by Lancaster University and the Cambridge University Press.
'Marvellous' was once twice as popular, being used 155 times per million words 20 years ago, but its usage has declined to only two times per million, the Times reported.
"The rise of 'awesome' seems to provide evidence of American English's influence on British speakers," said researcher Tony McEnery, from Lancaster University.
Other words that have risen in popularity since the 1990s include 'essentially', which has come to be used where people would previously have used 'really', and 'treadmill', a reflection of the increase in gym usage.
When people spoke of cats in the 1990s, they called them 'pussy cats' almost half of the time. In the 2010s, the modifier 'pussy' is usually dropped.
According to 'mirror.co.uk', since the 1990s 'fortnight' has been replaced by 'two weeks', 'cheerio' is only used by older people and 'marmalade' has gone from the list of the 10 most used words.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- DU Professor Injured in Violence Hospitalised
- Fire Breaks Out At The Times Of India Building In New Delhi
- Kerala CM Retracts His Remark Denying Conspiracy in Assault on Actress
- Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Amidst Tiff With Media
- Pakistan Rangers Kill 4, Detain Over 600 Terror Suspects In 200 Search Operations
- Maharashtra: Nearly 350 Students In Custody,18 Others Arrested After Army Recruitment Board Papers Leaked
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan