Centre Using NIA to Frame Kashmiris in False Cases: Geelani
Hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani today alleged that the Centre was using National Investigating Agency (NIA) to frame Kashmiri people in false cases.
"The NIA has become a big problem for people of Jammu and Kashmir. The NIA has been given such wide powers that people can be arrested merely on the basis of suspicion and taken to Delhi," Geelani told reporters here.
He said earlier people arrested in connection with involvement in separatist activities were tried in local courts.
"However, now they can be arrested by NIA and taken to Delhi for trial in courts there. This is being done to sabotage the ongoing movement in Kashmir," he added.
Geelani also alleged that the local officials of the NIA were harassing local businessmen and extorting money from them for not framing them in any case.
He said Pakistan and Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) should ensure protection of minorities as per the teachings of Islam in the areas under their control.
- CBI Court to Frame Charges Against Advani, Others
- Cyclone Mora Hits B'desh, India On High Alert
- 'Had A Good Interaction,' Says PM Modi After Meeting German Chancellor Merkel
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10