Centre Using NIA to Frame Kashmiris in False Cases: Geelani
Hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani today alleged that the Centre was using National Investigating Agency (NIA) to frame Kashmiri people in false cases.
"The NIA has become a big problem for people of Jammu and Kashmir. The NIA has been given such wide powers that people can be arrested merely on the basis of suspicion and taken to Delhi," Geelani told reporters here.
He said earlier people arrested in connection with involvement in separatist activities were tried in local courts.
"However, now they can be arrested by NIA and taken to Delhi for trial in courts there. This is being done to sabotage the ongoing movement in Kashmir," he added.
Geelani also alleged that the local officials of the NIA were harassing local businessmen and extorting money from them for not framing them in any case.
He said Pakistan and Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) should ensure protection of minorities as per the teachings of Islam in the areas under their control.
FROM OUTLOOKExclusive , InvestigationIntelligence agencies unearth "clinching evidence" of Pakistan's role in the Bombay blasts...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThere are those who have believed for a long timemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Feb 12 (PTI) Denying that Ghatkopar bomb bmore from WIRES>>>
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED