Centre Using NIA to Frame Kashmiris in False Cases: Geelani
Hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani today alleged that the Centre was using National Investigating Agency (NIA) to frame Kashmiri people in false cases.
"The NIA has become a big problem for people of Jammu and Kashmir. The NIA has been given such wide powers that people can be arrested merely on the basis of suspicion and taken to Delhi," Geelani told reporters here.
He said earlier people arrested in connection with involvement in separatist activities were tried in local courts.
"However, now they can be arrested by NIA and taken to Delhi for trial in courts there. This is being done to sabotage the ongoing movement in Kashmir," he added.
Geelani also alleged that the local officials of the NIA were harassing local businessmen and extorting money from them for not framing them in any case.
He said Pakistan and Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) should ensure protection of minorities as per the teachings of Islam in the areas under their control.
FROM OUTLOOKExclusive , InvestigationIntelligence agencies unearth "clinching evidence" of Pakistan's role in the Bombay blasts...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBReportageA shroud of silence and a pall of gloom envelopedmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Feb 12 (PTI) Denying that Ghatkopar bomb bmore from WIRES>>>
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Killed, 17 Injured in Florida Nightclub Shooting Rampage
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Transport Employees Launch Indefinite Strike in Karnataka
- Army Arrests Wanted Terrorist in Assam
- UNSC Mandates Must Recognise Ground Realities: India
- Srinagar-Muzaffarabad Bus Service Resumes
- BJD Launches Stir Against Chhattishgarh's Projects in Mahanadi
- HC Sentences Seven to Life Imprisonment in a Post-Godhra Riot Case
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED