Centre-Telangana Face-Off Likely on Household Survey
A face-off between the Centre and the Telangana government seems to be imminent as the Home Ministry may intervene in the 'Intensive Household Survey' to ascertain the details of 84 lakh families in the state.
A senior Home Ministry official said the Central government is seized of the matter and keeping a close eye on the situation arising out of the survey that began this morning as it has raised suspicion among the people of Seemandhra origin.
"Appropriate intervention will be made by the Home Ministry at an appropriate time, if necessary," the official said.
The Central government was expecting that the situation in Telangana, particularly in Hyderabad, where tension is high, will calm down and no violent incident will take place.
"We hope that good sense will prevail and the Telangana government will not do anything that will escalate tension," the official said.
Dismissing allegations that the survey is aimed at identifying Seemandhra natives, Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao said on Sunday that the exercise is intended to ensure that benefits of government schemes reached the targeted sections.
According to the "Check Slip" posted on the website of Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC), data is sought about the number of family members in a household, water tap connection, property tax assessment, LPG and electricity connections, bank account, Aadhaar card, caste certificate, birth certificate, disability, vehicles and land owned.
The Telangana government has also defied the Centre's directive on special powers related to law and order in Hyderabad vested with the governor.
The Chief Minister had dubbed the Home Ministry's order as a "fascist act" and dashed off a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi asking him to rescind it.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman