Centre Sets Three-Year Target to Rejuvenate Ganga
The cleansing of the much-polluted river Ganga will be targeted to be completed in three years with funding from various sources including international ones and learning from the global experience, the Government said today.
Union Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti said the work will start in six months on cleaning the Ganga, which is a high priority agenda of the Narendra Modi Government.
"Give me three years (to clean Ganga)," the Minister told reporters here.
"We will not hesitate from learning from anyone. We have no ego that we know the best. If we feel that somebody knows better than us, we will learn from river Rhine, Nile, Thames ...We will learn good things, without any hesitation," she said.
Asked about the funding, she said there will be several routes. "We will use PPP route, NRI fund has been setup," she said.
World Bank President Jim Yong Kim has already promised to help India in cleaning up the river Ganga.
Bharti also stated that efforts were on to rejuvenate the river in three years, for which steps would be taken to address the problem of pollution from industries and sewage.
"We want to rejuvenate it in three years. In three years, we want to establish the Environmental Flow (E-Flow). We want to resolve the issue of pollution on the banks of River Ganga and the pollution caused by industries and sewage," Bharti, who is also holding the Ganga Rejuvenation portfolio, said.
She was briefing reporters here on the sidelines of an international seminar on Water Risk and Stewardship in India.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman