Centre Convenes NE CMs' Meet to Discuss Development Projects
The Centre has convened a meeting of Chief Ministers of all northeastern states on August 21-22 in Guwahati to formulate a roadmap for development in the region.
The meeting has been called as part of the Narendra Modi government's initiative to accelerate various ongoing development projects in the northeast and explore possible fresh initiatives there.
Apart from the Chief Ministers of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura and Sikkim, representatives from Ministries like Home, Defence, Finance, Agriculture, Environment, Industries and North Eastern Council will take part in the meeting.
Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Gen (retd) V K Singh, Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju will be present. Both Sonowal and Rijiju belong to the northeast, officials sources said.
A number of projects are in various stages of implementation. The reasons for delay in their completion include shortcomings in detailed projects reports, late techno-economic clearance or vetting by the state government concerned, non-submission of requisite documents, slow tendering process and inadequate budgetary allocation.
"All these issues will be reviewed and appropriate action will be taken for the speedy completion of all ongoing projects," the sources said.
The meeting is expected to take stock of the monitoring mechanism under which reviews and field inspections are carried out for expeditious implementation of development projects in the region.
Under the new government, the projects are now being monitored on a regular basis with respect to their physical and financial achievements through progress reports which are submitted by the state governments and other implementing agencies.
FROM OUTLOOKInterviewThe chairman and managing director of Hindustan Construction Company on the Government's unfinished agenda ...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe British decision to leave the European Union imore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Dec 23 (PTI) With inflation declining to amore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Will Give Befitting Response to Any Misadventure: Raheel
- Shahabuddin Surrenders, Says CM Will be 'Taught a Lesson'
- Sri Lanka Becomes Fifth Nation to Pull Out of SAARC
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Will Tell India What Is Real Surgical Strike: Saeed
- Telcos Meet TRAI, Allege Tariff Order Violation by RJio
- Surgical Strike: South Korea Supports India's Stance
- Court Issues NBW Against Dawood Ibrahim, Chhota Shakeel
- 10 Killed, 29 Missing in Typhoon Megi in China
- Philippine Prez Duterte 'Happy to Slaughter' Drug Suspects, Mentions Hitler
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED