Centre Convenes NE CMs' Meet to Discuss Development Projects
The Centre has convened a meeting of Chief Ministers of all northeastern states on August 21-22 in Guwahati to formulate a roadmap for development in the region.
The meeting has been called as part of the Narendra Modi government's initiative to accelerate various ongoing development projects in the northeast and explore possible fresh initiatives there.
Apart from the Chief Ministers of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura and Sikkim, representatives from Ministries like Home, Defence, Finance, Agriculture, Environment, Industries and North Eastern Council will take part in the meeting.
Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Gen (retd) V K Singh, Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju will be present. Both Sonowal and Rijiju belong to the northeast, officials sources said.
A number of projects are in various stages of implementation. The reasons for delay in their completion include shortcomings in detailed projects reports, late techno-economic clearance or vetting by the state government concerned, non-submission of requisite documents, slow tendering process and inadequate budgetary allocation.
"All these issues will be reviewed and appropriate action will be taken for the speedy completion of all ongoing projects," the sources said.
The meeting is expected to take stock of the monitoring mechanism under which reviews and field inspections are carried out for expeditious implementation of development projects in the region.
Under the new government, the projects are now being monitored on a regular basis with respect to their physical and financial achievements through progress reports which are submitted by the state governments and other implementing agencies.
FROM OUTLOOKInterviewThe chairman and managing director of Hindustan Construction Company on the Government's unfinished agenda ...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBWe are often told that India had a golden age econmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Dec 23 (PTI) With inflation declining to amore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'