Censor Board CEO Arrested on Bribery Charge
CBI today arrested Censor Board CEO Rakesh Kumar for allegedly demanding Rs 70,000 as bribe for clearing a regional movie.
According to CBI sources here, the arrest was made late in the evening in Mumbai as the Central Board of Film Certification CEO came under the agency scanner after two middlemen allegedly receiving bribe on his behalf were arrested on Thursday.
The sources said although the present case deals only with the Chhattisgarh movie, the agency has information that some top producers of Bollywood had allegedly paid bribe to get their films cleared in time.
They said Kumar is being grilled by the interrogation team where he might reveal some more names who had allegedly paid bribe to get censor certificates on time.
The agency had searched his house on Thursday and arrested agent Shripati Mishra and advisory panel member of the Censor Board Sarvesh Jaiswal.
They were caught while taking the alleged bribe on Kumar's behalf, the sources said.
They said an authorised agent for censor certification had approached CBI alleging that Mishra had been demanding Rs 70,000 on behalf of Kumar for issuing the censor certificate for regional language film from Chhattisgarh Mor Dauki Ke Bihav.
An Indian Railways Personnel Officer, Kumar joined as CEO of CBFC in January.
The sources said producers of the film had wanted an urgent certificate as the date of the release of the movie was on August 15.
When contacted, CBI spokesperson said the arrested CBFC CEO will be produced before special CBI court tomorrow.
- SC Seeks EC's Response
- Indian Woman, Son Found Murdered in US, Probe Launched
- Should Sidhu Be Allowed to Multitask?
- Aadhaar Not Needed For Mid-Day Meals
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Govt Staff in Bareilly Barred From Wearing Jeans, T-Shirts at Work
- Release Funds to State Bodies for Holding Matches: SC Tells BCCI
- 1984 Riots: SC Asks Govt to Give Files of 199 'Closed' Cases
- Counter-Terrorist Operations Claimed 92 Soldiers in J&K Since 2015: Govt
- PM Modi Calls Up Theresa May Over Terror Attack
- Dr Randeep Guleria Appointed New Director of AIIMS-Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Yogi Adityanath Makes Surprise Visit To Police Station In Lucknow
- Plea Against Kejriwal: Court Raps Police for Indecisiveness
- After Shiv Sena MP's Slipper Assault, Air India Mulling Preparing No-Fly List for Unruly Passengers
- With Vikalp, Passengers on Wait List Can Tavel in Rajdhani at Mail, Express Fare