Censor Board CEO Arrested on Bribery Charge
CBI today arrested Censor Board CEO Rakesh Kumar for allegedly demanding Rs 70,000 as bribe for clearing a regional movie.
According to CBI sources here, the arrest was made late in the evening in Mumbai as the Central Board of Film Certification CEO came under the agency scanner after two middlemen allegedly receiving bribe on his behalf were arrested on Thursday.
The sources said although the present case deals only with the Chhattisgarh movie, the agency has information that some top producers of Bollywood had allegedly paid bribe to get their films cleared in time.
They said Kumar is being grilled by the interrogation team where he might reveal some more names who had allegedly paid bribe to get censor certificates on time.
The agency had searched his house on Thursday and arrested agent Shripati Mishra and advisory panel member of the Censor Board Sarvesh Jaiswal.
They were caught while taking the alleged bribe on Kumar's behalf, the sources said.
They said an authorised agent for censor certification had approached CBI alleging that Mishra had been demanding Rs 70,000 on behalf of Kumar for issuing the censor certificate for regional language film from Chhattisgarh Mor Dauki Ke Bihav.
An Indian Railways Personnel Officer, Kumar joined as CEO of CBFC in January.
The sources said producers of the film had wanted an urgent certificate as the date of the release of the movie was on August 15.
When contacted, CBI spokesperson said the arrested CBFC CEO will be produced before special CBI court tomorrow.
- Sting Operation: BJP Lodges Complaint Against Odisha CM, BJD MLAs
- GDP Growth Slows Down to 7.1%, Lowest in 6 Quarters
- Bezwada Wilson, T.M. Krishna Receive Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Dhingra Committee Submits 182-Page Report on Haryana Land Deals
- Ola Drivers Gangrape 12-Yr-Old in Kolkata, Kill, Toss Her Body Into Canal
- Let the Late Russian's Family Keep London Silver: Yogeshwar
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Nobel Prize Winner Roger Tsien Dies, Helped Track Cells
- Discussed Wall Not Payment in Meeting With Mexican President: Trump
- Brazil's President Rousseff Ousted From Office by Senate
- Bring Poor, Weaker Sections to Party Fold, Modi Tells BJP's Rajya Sabha MPs
- At Nearly 43%, Muslims Have Highest Per Cent of Illiterates: Census
- Sensex Up 66 Points, Nifty Above 8,800 in Early Trade
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED