CBI to Look Into FIPB Approval of Aircel Maxis Deal
CBI will look into allegations of approval being given fraudulently by Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) to the Aircel-Maxis deal but that will not be part of first charge sheet which is likely to be filed soon.
Senior officials in the agency confirmed that CBI would look into the FIPB approval given to the Aircel Maxis deal in which allegations of coercion and bribery have surfaced, resulting in a probe.
The agency's move to investigate the issue of FIPB clearance will take the probe to the doors of Finance Ministry which has so far been limited to Telecom Ministry.
The sources said agency will soon be filing its first charge sheet in the matter and the issue of alleged fraudulent approval of FIPB, if substantiated, will be part of subsequent charge sheets which could be filed at the later stage.
The NGO, Centre for Public Interest Litigation and Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy, had filed applications in the apex court alleging that FIPB approval to the Aircel-Maxis deal was granted fraudulently.
CBI in 2011 had filed FIR in the case alleging that Dayanidhi Maran, the then telecom minister had used his influence to help Malaysian business tycoon T Ananda Krishnan acquire Aircel by coercing its owner C Sivasankaran.
It was alleged by Sivasankaran that the then telecom minister had favoured Malaysia-based Maxis group in the takeover of his company and in return investments were made by the company through Astro network in a company owned by the Maran family.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Watch: Delhi College Guard Brutally Beats Street Dog To Death, Case Registered After Video Goes Viral
- Modi Promised 'Acche Din' Like SRK In DDLJ, Ended Up Being Sholay's Gabbar, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan Senate Passes Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- Bangladesh Bans Irrfan Khan Starrer Biopic No Bed of Roses