CBI to Look Into FIPB Approval of Aircel Maxis Deal
CBI will look into allegations of approval being given fraudulently by Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) to the Aircel-Maxis deal but that will not be part of first charge sheet which is likely to be filed soon.
Senior officials in the agency confirmed that CBI would look into the FIPB approval given to the Aircel Maxis deal in which allegations of coercion and bribery have surfaced, resulting in a probe.
The agency's move to investigate the issue of FIPB clearance will take the probe to the doors of Finance Ministry which has so far been limited to Telecom Ministry.
The sources said agency will soon be filing its first charge sheet in the matter and the issue of alleged fraudulent approval of FIPB, if substantiated, will be part of subsequent charge sheets which could be filed at the later stage.
The NGO, Centre for Public Interest Litigation and Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy, had filed applications in the apex court alleging that FIPB approval to the Aircel-Maxis deal was granted fraudulently.
CBI in 2011 had filed FIR in the case alleging that Dayanidhi Maran, the then telecom minister had used his influence to help Malaysian business tycoon T Ananda Krishnan acquire Aircel by coercing its owner C Sivasankaran.
It was alleged by Sivasankaran that the then telecom minister had favoured Malaysia-based Maxis group in the takeover of his company and in return investments were made by the company through Astro network in a company owned by the Maran family.
- Can't Allow Lives of Muslim Women to be Ruined by Triple Talaq: PM
- Militants Open Fire at Manipur CM's Helicopter, He Escapes Unhurt
- Women to be Granted Access to Haji Ali Shrine on Par With Men: Dargah Trust to SC
- Let Netaji Install a CM Who He Feels is Honest: Akhilesh
- BSF Jawan, Six-Yr-Old Boy Killed in Pak Firing in J&K
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Seven Killed, 94 Injured in Massive Explosion in China
- Centre 'Politicising' Triple Talaq Issue to Polarise Hindu Votes: Muslim Women Org
- CBI Shielding Tytler in 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case, Alleges AAP
- Aircel-Maxis Case: Kalanithi Denies CBI Claim of Pressurising Telecom Promoter
- China Warns US Against Meddling After Envoy's Arunachal Trip
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali on September 29 After Surgical Strikes: PM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'