CBI Files Case Against Lalu Confidante Over Coal Block Allocation
CBI today registered a case against former union minister Prem Chand Gupta, a close aide of RJD Supremo Lalu Prasad, and his son for allegedly falsifying records in getting a coal block in Maharashtra.
The case was registered against Gupta, who is at present a Rajya Sabha member, and his son Gaurav after the Central Vigilance Commission agreed with CBI that a case was made out, official sources said.
This is the 24th FIR registered by the agency in connection with the coal blocks allocation scam being monitored by the Supreme Court.
The allegation is that the company had allegedly falsified records to the government that it had spent Rs 100 crore on power plants but a close scrutiny of the papers of the company showed that only Rs 80 crore had been spent, the sources said.
The company is alleged to have falsified the records to meet the basic requirement for getting a coal block, the sources said.
Efforts to reach Gupta for his reaction did not fructify as he was on a pilgrimage and his residence in Delhi refused to share his mobile number.
According to the FIR, the the company in question was IST Steel and Power - an associate company of the IST Group which is owned and run by Gupta's sons Mayur and Gaurav.
IST Steel was allocated the Dahegaon/Makardhokra IV block in Maharashtra. The company had applied for a block on January 12, 2007 and was awarded on June 17, 2009.
Gupta, who belongs to Rashtriya Janata Dal, was the Minister of State for Corporate Affairs in UPA-I.
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED