Car Bomb Blasts Kill 17 in Baghdad
Two car bombs exploded in Shiite-majority areas of the Iraqi capital today, killing at least 17 people, security and medical officials said.
The first blast struck an area of shops, restaurants and cafes in the Kadhimiyah area of northern Baghdad, killing at least 11 people and wounding 32.
Another car bomb exploded later near alcohol shops in the central district of Karrada, killing at least six people and wounding 17, officials said.
At the site of that blast, security forces gathered around the mangled remains of a car that apparently carried the explosives, which sat in a narrow median.
Two people still at the scene of the blast, which smashed storefronts and left broken glass hundreds of metres away, were lightly wounded.
Sirens screamed as security forces trucks and ambulances arrived and departed.
Jihadists frequently target areas populated by Shiites, whose faith they consider heresy, and also often strike crowded places in a bid to cause maximum casualties.
Iraq is struggling to regain ground from a sweeping jihadist-led insurgency that has overrun chunks of five provinces since it was launched in June.
But significant portions of the country, especially Baghdad, have suffered through years of bombings.
- India Talks Tough With Pak, Says Willing to Discuss Terror
- Stand By Every Word I Said on RSS: Rahul Gandhi
- Angry Mehbooba Ends Press Meet With Rajnath Abruptly
- Scorpene Leak: Navy Takes Up Issue With France's DGA
- Alternatives to Pellet Guns in Few Days: Rajnath
- AI Mumbai-Newark Flight Diverted to Kazakhstan After 'Alarm Went Off'
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- No Records Available on AgustaWestland Deal: Defence Ministry, IAF
- Hawkish Stance of Govt Has Mellowed Down: Cong on Kashmir
- Amarinder Will Take a Call on Sidhu's Entry Into Cong
- Probe Ordered in Tribal Man's Plight of Not Getting Vehicle to Carry Wife's Body
- JNU Rape Case: Accused Sent to 14 Days Judicial Custody
- Chilli-Filled 'PAVA Shells' Seen as Alternative to Pellet Guns
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED