Car Bomb Blasts Kill 17 in Baghdad
Two car bombs exploded in Shiite-majority areas of the Iraqi capital today, killing at least 17 people, security and medical officials said.
The first blast struck an area of shops, restaurants and cafes in the Kadhimiyah area of northern Baghdad, killing at least 11 people and wounding 32.
Another car bomb exploded later near alcohol shops in the central district of Karrada, killing at least six people and wounding 17, officials said.
At the site of that blast, security forces gathered around the mangled remains of a car that apparently carried the explosives, which sat in a narrow median.
Two people still at the scene of the blast, which smashed storefronts and left broken glass hundreds of metres away, were lightly wounded.
Sirens screamed as security forces trucks and ambulances arrived and departed.
Jihadists frequently target areas populated by Shiites, whose faith they consider heresy, and also often strike crowded places in a bid to cause maximum casualties.
Iraq is struggling to regain ground from a sweeping jihadist-led insurgency that has overrun chunks of five provinces since it was launched in June.
But significant portions of the country, especially Baghdad, have suffered through years of bombings.
- Centre Applauds Army's Attack On Pakistan Posts
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Blast That Killed 22
- James Bond Actor Roger Moore Dies At 89
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10