BSF Jawan Swept Away in Chenab, Captured by Pakistan
A BSF jawan deployed along the Indo-Pakistan border was captured by Pakistani forces early today after he was swept away by a strong current of the Chenab river in Jammu and Kashmir.
The Border Security Force (BSF), immediately after the incident occurred early morning, sought a flag meeting with their counterparts Pakistan Rangers for getting the jawan back.
"We are in touch with Pakistan Rangers and have sought a flag meeting. We are hopeful that our trooper will be handed back to us sooner than later," BSF chief D K Pathak said.
Officials said the trooper, identified as Satyasheel Yadav of the water wing of the border guarding force, was out on a patrol with three other personnel in the Paragwal-Khour sub-sector of general area Akhnoor along the Line of Control when the boat they were travelling in developed a problem.
They said that when the patrol squad was negotiating a narrow bend in the river in this sector, the engine of the motorboat failed.
A rescue boat later sent to fetch the BSF men was taken by three personnel but Yadav got drifted in the strong current as the rope holding him snapped and he subsequently landed 400 metres away in the Sialkot sector of Pakistan where he was picked up the Rangers, they said.
A Rangers official confirmed the capture as he told PTI that a BSF personnel had entered Bajwaat sector, about 150 kms from Lahore.
"We are interrogating him whether he crossed into our side inadvertently or he had any other design. We will also speak to the BSF officials concerned about it," the official said.
- 'One Nation One Tax' to Eliminate Corruption: Jaitley on GST
- Bangladeshi-Canadian Named as Dhaka Cafe Attack Mastermind
- Assam Flood Situation 'Grave And Challenging': Rajnath
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Pancreatitis in Belgium
- Clashes in Kashmir, Curfew Lifted in Many Areas
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Army Takes Possession of Adarsh Building
- Angul SP Injured in Clash Between BJD, BJP in Odisha
- Terrorists Like Burhan Wani Don't Deserve Second Chance: Deputy CM
- West Indies Reach 88 for 4 at Lunch vs India on Day 1
- 16 Killed in Texas Hot Air Balloon Crash
- Court Convicts Film Director Farooqui of Raping US Researcher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED