Britain Summons Russian Envoy Over Ukraine 'Incursion'
Britain has summoned Moscow's ambassador to London over reports of a Russian military incursion across its border with Ukraine, the Foreign Office said today.
Alexander Yakovenko was summoned "to clarify reports of Russian military incursion into Ukraine and continued buildup of equipment on border," the ministry said in a tweet.
Ukraine said today it had destroyed part of a Russian military convoy that crossed onto its territory, sending tensions over the situation in the east of the country soaring.
British Prime Minister David Cameron also spoke to Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko on a telephone call today.
A spokesman for Cameron's Downing Street office said after the call that the prime minister had "expressed grave concerns at reports of Russian military vehicles crossing the border."
The spokesman added that both sides had agreed humanitarian aid should be delivered through the International Committee of the Red Cross.
"Both leaders also agreed on finding a political solution to de-escalate the situation and the prime minister welcomed President Poroshenko's readiness to engage with Russia and other partners to achieve this," the spokesman added.
"Russia needs to demonstrate the same willingness to find a peaceful resolution to the conflict.
FROM OUTLOOKForeign AffairsIndia has to take stock of its diminishing role in institutions like NAM and the UN...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionState visits by Indian Presidents to a foreign lanmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Feb 16 Britain today suggested that Indmore from WIRES>>>
- Indian Origin Punjabi Bus Driver Burnt to Death in Australia
- SC Dismisses Petition, Says Armed Forces Answerable To Government
- Fifteen Pakistan Rangers Killed In BSF's Retaliatory Fire In The Past Week
- Judges Selection: SC Slams Centre for Bringing Courts to a Grinding Halt
- US Charges 61 People in Multi-Million Dollar Indian Call Center Scam
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Along LoC in Jammu, Rajouri, Kathua, Girl Injured
- Daily Curator: While India Plays Spy-Spy With Pakistan, China Issues Gentle Reminder
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- India Third in Terror Deaths After ISIS-Boko Haram Areas: SC Told
- War No Option, Pak Should Take Initiative for Peace: Mehbooba
- Pak Army Says No Soldiers Killed in Firing at Border
- DND Flyway onnecting Noida to Delhi to Remain Toll Free: SC
- Swamy Asks PM to Form Multi-Agency SIT to Probe Tatas
- Northern Ireland Rejects Brexit Court Challenge
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED