Britain Carries Out Second Evacuation from Libya
British Royal Navy ship the HMS Enterprise arrived in Malta today carrying 93 people evacuated from strife-torn Libya, its second such mission this week, British officials said.
The ship, which had been carrying out routine survey work in the Mediterranean Sea, left Tripoli yesterday and arrived in Malta early today, where passengers were met by staff from the British High Commission in the capital Valletta.
It was the second "assisted departure" carried out by the British government amid the deteriorating security situation.
Since mid-July, Libya has seen deadly clashes between rival militias in Tripoli and in the eastern city of Benghazi.
Tripoli airport has been closed since gunmen, mostly Islamists, attacked it on July 13 in a bid to wrest control from the Zintan brigade of former rebels who have held it since the 2011 revolt.
A total of 110 British and other European nationals, including pregnant women and babies, arrived in Malta on Monday after being evacuated by HMS Enterprise.
Britain has temporarily suspended its embassy operations in the troubled north African country, the Foreign Office said.
FROM OUTLOOKPakistanThe madrassahs, flocked by students, are the training ground—for Islamic learning and militancy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDAll of us at Berkeley are devastated by the loss omore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESHTML clipboard With only "half-hearted" measuremore from WIRES>>>
- PM Should Also be Suspended for 'Inviting ISI to Pathankot': Mann
- Patient Shoots Doctor at Berlin Hospital, Kills Self: Police
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas-Antrix Deal: India Loses Arbitration Case at the Hague
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Govt Holds Meet With RSS Affiliates Over Key Economic Issues
- HC Seeks Centre's Report on Use of Pellet Guns in Kashmir
- Psychological Warfare on Social Media Our New Threat: Rathore
- Compassion Offers Solution to Many Present-Day Concerns: Bhagwat
- Wildlife Activists Burn Salman Khan's Effigy, Write to Prez
- Railways Disaster Management Plans Not Comprehensive: CAG
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED