Brazil Police Launch Probe as Shooting Video Emerges
Brazilian police have launched a probe following the release of a video purportedly showing elite officers shooting a man who had apparently turned himself in.
The footage, published yesterday by the magazine Extra, allegedly documents an incident on May 23 during an operation in the west of Rio de Janeiro. Police said the officers in question would be brought to justice if the scenes prove to be true.
The video purportedly shows two officers from the elite CORE unit firing two shots in the Itanhanga neighbourhood during a special operation targeting drug dealers.
A man is seen raising his arms and sitting down on the sidewalk with his hands on his head. Shortly thereafter, shots are heard and the man is seen lying on the ground.
Globo News reported that the man who made the video said the deceased -- identified as Allysson Fernando da Silva -- had died at the hands of the police. The police operation resulted in the seizure of weapons and ammunition, as well as seven arrests.
At the time, the police officers in question had registered the death as a "case of armed conflict," claiming the deceased -- with no criminal background -- had a gun and drugs in his backpack.
In 2012, CORE officers were accused of forging cases of armed conflict in the Rola favela.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- K.P.S. Gill: The Man Who Won The Terror Battle In Punjab
- K.P.S. Gill Ruled Indian Hockey With An Iron Fist
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10