Bodo Outfit Asks Centre to 'Take Over' Law & Order in Bodo Areas
Strongly condemning the killing of 65 people by NDFB militants, a Bodoland outfit today asked the Centre to "take over" law and order in the Bodo-dominated areas, saying the Assam government has "completely failed" to deal with the situation.
"The All Assam Bodo People's Conference (AABPC) and the World Bodo National Confederation express serious concern over the complete breakdown of law and order in the state and the failure of the state government of Assam to curb and prevent such killings and its inability to provide safety and security to the lives of people," former MP S K Bwiswmuthiary, who heads both the organisations, said in a statement here.
He urged the Centre to "take over the entire law and order matter in relation to the territories of the proposed Bodoland state so that no more innocent lives are lost in the hands of terrorists."
Bwiswmuthiary sought the Centre's intervention to handle the critical situation "arising out of the unchecked terrorist activities unleashed by the NDFB(S) within and outside Bodoland territory forthwith."
He also appealed to all communities to maintain restraint, peace and communal harmony, saying such "cowardly acts are the handiwork of only a few frustrated individuals who do not in any way represent the overall minds and sentiments of the Bodo society."
In a statement, the Asian Centre for Human Rights termed the massacre as "crimes against humanity as defined under the Rome Statute of International Criminal Court."
"The incident is a stark reminder that India is no less vulnerable than Pakistan which witnessed the massacre of school children by the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan on 16 December 2014," it said.
It asked the government to ensure registration of FIRs, conducting of proper investigation and bringing the perpetrators to justice.
- China Protests Over 'Crossing of Border' by Indian Troops
- Ravi Shastri To Apply For India's Head Coach
- 'Stop Terror', India, US Warn Against Pak-Based Terror Groups
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Afghan Air Corridor Shows India's 'Stubborn Geopolitical Thinking', Says Chinese Daily
- 'Indians Hate Corruption,' Says PM Modi, Not One Taint On My Government So Far
- Indrani Mukerjea Along With 200 Inmates Booked For Rioting Inside Jail
- India Cannot Progress Without Hindi, Says Union Minister Naidu