BJP's TN Allies Against Calling Teachers Day ' Guru Utsav'
Two of BJP's Tamil Nadu allies today opposed naming Teacher's Day as 'Guru Utsav', with PMK terming it as a discreet attempt to impose Sanskrit.
Leaders of PMK and MDMK, S Ramadoss and Vaiko, demanded that the Centre immediately withdraw the order to rename Teachers' Day as 'Guru Utsav.'
While welcoming Prime Minister Narendra Modi's decision to interact with students on September 5, coinciding with Teachers' Day, Ramadoss however opposed the day being called as 'Guru Utsav.'
"It is not proper for the Central government to have changed the name as Guru Utsav. This is a discreet attempt to impose Sanskrit, which is not acceptable," Ramadoss, who besides Vaiko had opposed the Sanskrit Week celebrations in CBSE schools recently, said in a statement.
Vaiko also welcomed Modi's initiative to interact with students, but said it was "strongly condemnable" that the Union HRD Minister had renamed Teachers' Day as 'Guru Utsav.'
"The Central government should realise that national integration will be strengthened only if the identities of various languages and cultures are promoted," he said.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi had already opposed the move, alleging that it was a conspiracy to downgrade Tamil language and society.
- 'One Nation One Tax' to Eliminate Corruption: Jaitley on GST
- Bangladeshi-Canadian Named as Dhaka Cafe Attack Mastermind
- Assam Flood Situation 'Grave And Challenging': Rajnath
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Pancreatitis in Belgium
- Clashes in Kashmir, Curfew Lifted in Many Areas
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Army Takes Possession of Adarsh Building
- Angul SP Injured in Clash Between BJD, BJP in Odisha
- Terrorists Like Burhan Wani Don't Deserve Second Chance: Deputy CM
- West Indies Reach 88 for 4 at Lunch vs India on Day 1
- 16 Killed in Texas Hot Air Balloon Crash
- Court Convicts Film Director Farooqui of Raping US Researcher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED