BJP's TN Allies Against Calling Teachers Day ' Guru Utsav'
Two of BJP's Tamil Nadu allies today opposed naming Teacher's Day as 'Guru Utsav', with PMK terming it as a discreet attempt to impose Sanskrit.
Leaders of PMK and MDMK, S Ramadoss and Vaiko, demanded that the Centre immediately withdraw the order to rename Teachers' Day as 'Guru Utsav.'
While welcoming Prime Minister Narendra Modi's decision to interact with students on September 5, coinciding with Teachers' Day, Ramadoss however opposed the day being called as 'Guru Utsav.'
"It is not proper for the Central government to have changed the name as Guru Utsav. This is a discreet attempt to impose Sanskrit, which is not acceptable," Ramadoss, who besides Vaiko had opposed the Sanskrit Week celebrations in CBSE schools recently, said in a statement.
Vaiko also welcomed Modi's initiative to interact with students, but said it was "strongly condemnable" that the Union HRD Minister had renamed Teachers' Day as 'Guru Utsav.'
"The Central government should realise that national integration will be strengthened only if the identities of various languages and cultures are promoted," he said.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi had already opposed the move, alleging that it was a conspiracy to downgrade Tamil language and society.
- French Burkini Bans Face Legal Challenge as Tension Mounts
- India Talks Tough With Pak, Says Willing to Discuss Terror
- Stand By Every Word I Said on RSS: Rahul Gandhi
- Angry Mehbooba Ends Press Meet With Rajnath Abruptly
- Scorpene Leak: Navy Takes Up Issue With France's DGA
- Alternatives to Pellet Guns in Few Days: Rajnath
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- Delhi: Female TV Journalist Harassed, One Held
- Three Decades After Anti-Sikh Riots, Two Victims to Get Compensation
- Maleeha Lodhi Pitches for Pak's Inclusion in NSG
- Outsiders Engineered Coup Against Chhotepur: Amarinder
- Mangaluru: Eggs Hurled at Actor Ramya's Car Over Pak Comment
- Rebel AAP MLA Moves Breach of Privilege Notice Against Sisodia
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED