BJP's TN Allies Against Calling Teachers Day ' Guru Utsav'
Two of BJP's Tamil Nadu allies today opposed naming Teacher's Day as 'Guru Utsav', with PMK terming it as a discreet attempt to impose Sanskrit.
Leaders of PMK and MDMK, S Ramadoss and Vaiko, demanded that the Centre immediately withdraw the order to rename Teachers' Day as 'Guru Utsav.'
While welcoming Prime Minister Narendra Modi's decision to interact with students on September 5, coinciding with Teachers' Day, Ramadoss however opposed the day being called as 'Guru Utsav.'
"It is not proper for the Central government to have changed the name as Guru Utsav. This is a discreet attempt to impose Sanskrit, which is not acceptable," Ramadoss, who besides Vaiko had opposed the Sanskrit Week celebrations in CBSE schools recently, said in a statement.
Vaiko also welcomed Modi's initiative to interact with students, but said it was "strongly condemnable" that the Union HRD Minister had renamed Teachers' Day as 'Guru Utsav.'
"The Central government should realise that national integration will be strengthened only if the identities of various languages and cultures are promoted," he said.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi had already opposed the move, alleging that it was a conspiracy to downgrade Tamil language and society.
- Government Says 'No' To India-Pakistan Cricket Series
- CISE Declares Class 12 Results, Topper Gets 99.5%
- Delhi Man Killed For Objecting To Public Urination
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10