BJP MLA Attacked by Unidentified Gunman in East Delhi
BJP MLA from Shahdara Jeetendra Singh Shunty had a narrow escape when an unidentified gunman opened fire at him in the wee hours today outside his residence in east Delhi's Vivek Vihar area.
The gunman fired three to four rounds at 51-year-old Shunty, a first time MLA but he escaped unhurt in the attack that took place at around 5:30 AM. The dramatic incident was recorded by a CCTV camera installed outside the MLA's residence.
Police said the man reached Shunty's residence and repeatedly rang the bell. As Shunty went out to check, the man who was wearing a helmet, told him that he wanted to get some documents attested.
As the BJP MLA took the documents from the man and was about to go inside the house, the attacker caught Shunty's collar and pulled him out.
When Shunty saw a pistol, he tried to run inside his house but the door got locked from inside due to auto-locking system.
In a bid to prevent the attacker from opening fire, Shunty had a scuffle with the assailant but he managed to fire three to four shots at him which missed the MLA by a whisker, police said quoting Shunty's statement.
During investigation it came out that the attacker had reached the spot in a white colour Hyundai Verna car bearing a Haryana registration number along with one or two other accomplices who were waiting for him in the car parked couple of blocks away. The attacker fled in the same car after Shunty shouted for help.
The BJP MLA told the police that he could not identify the assailant as he was wearing a helmet.
"I don't know who attacked me, but it is sure that the attack was fully planned and professional...Since I have been serving people for a long time, some persons might have become my enemies," he said.
The MLA said that there was a similar attack on him in 2007-08 during the MCD elections. "But I don't remember having any enmity with anyone."
Police have registered a case under relevant sections and several teams have been deployed to nab the attackers. Teams of Crime Branch and Special Cell have also been roped in to investigate the case.
Empty cartridges were recovered from the lane outside Shunty's residence where the incident took place.
A senior official said that the kind of cartridges found at the spot indicate that a country-made weapon was used in the attack.
Surprisingly, Shunty enjoys a security cover from Punjab Police and two policemen were sleeping upstairs in his house when the incident took place.
"They remain with me from 8:30 AM to late night. It seems that the attackers had recceed before carrying out the attack as they knew that I would have been alone at this point of time," said Shunty.
Senior officials including DCP Ajay Kumar and Joint Commissioner Sanjay Beniwal rushed to the crime scene soon after the incident.
Investigators have examined the CCTV footage for leads in the case although the attacker could not be identified as he was wearing a helmet.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10