BJP Bats for Ease of Voting for NRIs, Cong, Left Oppose Idea
Congress and Left parties have vehemently opposed a suggestion by BJP for the easing of the voting process for NRIs to ensure their participation in elections in India.
A meeting of representatives of various political parties was convened by Election Commission (EC) here on Saturday to elicit their views regarding the easing of the voting process for NRIs.
Although BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, who represented his party at the EC meeting, favoured an easier voting mechanism for NRIs, Congress, CPI-M, CPI and NCP opposed any move to allow internet or proxy voting for Indians living abroad.
Senior leaders Vayalar Ravi and Ajay Maken represented Congress while NCP registered its opposition to the move in writing.
"EC should prepare a comfortable mechanism to ensure NRIs exercise their voting rights in the country's electoral process," BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told PTI.
Congress suggested that instead of being allowed to cast their vote online, polling booths can be set up at Indian embassies abroad where NRIs can come and exercise their franchise.
The Congress argument was that adopting internet voting for Indian voters living abroad would open a floodgate of problems. Any such provision will be violative of the secret ballot principle and also amount to bringing disparities into facilities provided to all voters, the party added.
Congress said that the process will not be foolproof and can lead to manipulation.
The EC meeting was held in response to a Supreme Court directive asking the poll panel to submit a report on the issue.
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Khalsa College Postpones Drama Event Till ABVP Drama Pacifies
- India Likely to Be Less Affected by Global Economic Shocks: IMF
- Ticket Collector Bites Off Senior Officer's Nose In A Fit Of Rage
- 60-Year-Old Poet Thrashed For Stopping DTC Bus Conductor From Urinating On Road
- 130 Bodies Of Fighters Beheaded By Rival Jihadists Found in Syria Mass Graves
- BMC Mayor Will Be From Our Party, BJP Used Deceitful Means to Destabilise Our Rule: Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman