BJP Bats for Ease of Voting for NRIs, Cong, Left Oppose Idea
Congress and Left parties have vehemently opposed a suggestion by BJP for the easing of the voting process for NRIs to ensure their participation in elections in India.
A meeting of representatives of various political parties was convened by Election Commission (EC) here on Saturday to elicit their views regarding the easing of the voting process for NRIs.
Although BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, who represented his party at the EC meeting, favoured an easier voting mechanism for NRIs, Congress, CPI-M, CPI and NCP opposed any move to allow internet or proxy voting for Indians living abroad.
Senior leaders Vayalar Ravi and Ajay Maken represented Congress while NCP registered its opposition to the move in writing.
"EC should prepare a comfortable mechanism to ensure NRIs exercise their voting rights in the country's electoral process," BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told PTI.
Congress suggested that instead of being allowed to cast their vote online, polling booths can be set up at Indian embassies abroad where NRIs can come and exercise their franchise.
The Congress argument was that adopting internet voting for Indian voters living abroad would open a floodgate of problems. Any such provision will be violative of the secret ballot principle and also amount to bringing disparities into facilities provided to all voters, the party added.
Congress said that the process will not be foolproof and can lead to manipulation.
The EC meeting was held in response to a Supreme Court directive asking the poll panel to submit a report on the issue.
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED