BJP Bats for Ease of Voting for NRIs, Cong, Left Oppose Idea
Congress and Left parties have vehemently opposed a suggestion by BJP for the easing of the voting process for NRIs to ensure their participation in elections in India.
A meeting of representatives of various political parties was convened by Election Commission (EC) here on Saturday to elicit their views regarding the easing of the voting process for NRIs.
Although BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, who represented his party at the EC meeting, favoured an easier voting mechanism for NRIs, Congress, CPI-M, CPI and NCP opposed any move to allow internet or proxy voting for Indians living abroad.
Senior leaders Vayalar Ravi and Ajay Maken represented Congress while NCP registered its opposition to the move in writing.
"EC should prepare a comfortable mechanism to ensure NRIs exercise their voting rights in the country's electoral process," BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told PTI.
Congress suggested that instead of being allowed to cast their vote online, polling booths can be set up at Indian embassies abroad where NRIs can come and exercise their franchise.
The Congress argument was that adopting internet voting for Indian voters living abroad would open a floodgate of problems. Any such provision will be violative of the secret ballot principle and also amount to bringing disparities into facilities provided to all voters, the party added.
Congress said that the process will not be foolproof and can lead to manipulation.
The EC meeting was held in response to a Supreme Court directive asking the poll panel to submit a report on the issue.
- Former Punjab DGP K.P.S. Gill Dies At 82
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10